    Does anyone else have any experience with them?

    From a CGI/UNIX perspective, they are rather oddly put together.
    CHMOD does not work from FTP as read/write and mount permissions are set
    from a control panel.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Ken Guest

    Hi Jeff -

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:53:10 GMT, Jeff Thies
    <> wrote:

    > I'm having my first experience with XO as a web hosting company.
    >
    > Does anyone else have any experience with them?
    >
    > From a CGI/UNIX perspective, they are rather oddly put together.
    >CHMOD does not work from FTP as read/write and mount permissions are set
    >from a control panel.

    I had my domains hosted there for a number of years. They have (or at
    least had) their own proprietary webserver software, so it didn't
    matter you may have had experience with, it didn't work the same.

    Even so, when it was Concentric it was good. I had direct interaction
    with the VP of Technical Servics (or something like that) on more than
    one occasion. After they were borged by Nextlink(?) and then XO, it
    went dramatically downhill.

    They also have gotten quite a bad reputation for allowing spammers.
    They have 64 listings on the Spamhaus SBL listing, including a quite a
    number of ROKSO spammers. http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

    I moved on because I wanted a virtual server rather than virtual
    hosting. I had that at Goldvision for a couple years, paying very
    little more than I was for the virtual hosting. I've since moved on
    to have my own physical server; sitting about five feet away from me.

    It's unlikely in the extreme that I would ever go back to virtual
    hosting (I love having my own server) but if I ever did, it wouldn't
    be at XO.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.ke9nr.net/

    Ken, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    Hi Ken,

    >> I'm having my first experience with XO as a web hosting company.

    <snip>

    > I had my domains hosted there for a number of years. They have (or at
    > least had) their own proprietary webserver software, so it didn't
    > matter you may have had experience with, it didn't work the same.

    Hmmm, didn't know the webserver was proprietary, the shell certainly is!

    > Even so, when it was Concentric it was good. I had direct interaction
    > with the VP of Technical Servics (or something like that) on more than
    > one occasion. After they were borged by Nextlink(?) and then XO, it
    > went dramatically downhill.
    >
    > They also have gotten quite a bad reputation for allowing spammers.
    > They have 64 listings on the Spamhaus SBL listing, including a quite a
    > number of ROKSO spammers. http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

    I'm getting a nealy blank page.

    > I moved on because I wanted a virtual server rather than virtual
    > hosting. I had that at Goldvision for a couple years, paying very
    > little more than I was for the virtual hosting. I've since moved on
    > to have my own physical server; sitting about five feet away from me.

    Wow! Good pipe? Sounds expensive.

    > It's unlikely in the extreme that I would ever go back to virtual
    > hosting (I love having my own server) but if I ever did, it wouldn't
    > be at XO.

    Thanks, I got in trouble immediately. A folder got dismounted by
    initializing their MySQL utility. What web host does that?!%#@!

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Ken Guest

    Hi Jeff -

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:10:19 GMT, Jeff Thies
    <> wrote:

    >> They also have gotten quite a bad reputation for allowing spammers.
    >> They have 64 listings on the Spamhaus SBL listing, including a quite a
    >> number of ROKSO spammers. http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso

    >I'm getting a nealy blank page.

    Oops ... they use a POST form so the ISP name is not in the URL. Try
    this:
    http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso?isp=xo.com

    Note: you'll need to have cookies enabled. (A security measure to
    help prevent automated software from prowling the site.)

    >> I moved on because I wanted a virtual server rather than virtual
    >> hosting. I had that at Goldvision for a couple years, paying very
    >> little more than I was for the virtual hosting. I've since moved on
    >> to have my own physical server; sitting about five feet away from me.

    >Wow! Good pipe? Sounds expensive.

    3M in / 256K out. It's a SOHO business package from Cox
    Communications (cable). I'm paying about $40/month more than I was
    for their residential high-speed internet, with double the speed,
    static IP address, reverse DNS, etc.

    I'm in the process of upgrading my firewall PC so that I can get a
    second broadband connection, either DSL or wireless. Both are
    available here.

    --
    Ken
    http://www.ke9nr.net/