    What I am looking for, are languages for the Python Virtual Machine,
    which means, languages that could be compiled to the Python byte code.

    Thanks a lot in advance!
    reinsn, Mar 16, 2006

  2. reinsn

    Ravi Teja Guest

    Yes! But not many.

    http://www.livelogix.net/logix/

    Logix also allows you to create your own custom languages for Python's
    VM. But for some reason, there does not seem to be much interest in
    it's development. Odd, given that it has great potential.
    Ravi Teja, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Ravi Teja wrote:

    > Yes! But not many.
    >
    > http://www.livelogix.net/logix/

    Interesting.

    > Logix also allows you to create your own custom languages for Python's
    > VM. But for some reason, there does not seem to be much interest in
    > it's development. Odd, given that it has great potential.

    I can only speculate - but I guess part of this lack of interest stems from
    the fact that the PVM evolves around python itself - in contrast to JAVA,
    where the JVM-spec is independen from the language itself. So a
    PVM-dependend developer has way lesser guarantees that his endeavors will
    work on the next generation PVM.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Mar 16, 2006
  4. reinsn

    Ravi Teja Guest

    I did not mean the lack of interest on part of the developer. That was
    explained here.
    http://www.livelogix.net/logix/future-work.html
    His complaints were Efficiency and Security.

    I was wondering why the Python community did not show interest in this.
    There is tremendous potential in this product. For example, web
    frameworks and ORMs are well understood now and people constantly push
    for more and more parsimonious representations. Logix makes writing
    DSLs trivial with Lisp like ease without all the parentheses. What I am
    surprised is why the framework authors did not leverage it yet.
    Ravi Teja, Mar 16, 2006