Other languages for PVM

reinsn

Hi,
I am cuurently working with Python and the PVM. I found that there is
something interesting like Jython, which allows to compile python
source code in *.class file.
What I am looking for, are languages for the Python Virtual Machine,
which means, languages that could be compiled to the Python byte code.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ravi Teja

Yes! But not many.

http://www.livelogix.net/logix/

Logix also allows you to create your own custom languages for Python's
VM. But for some reason, there does not seem to be much interest in
it's development. Odd, given that it has great potential.

Diez B. Roggisch

Ravi said:
Yes! But not many.

http://www.livelogix.net/logix/
Interesting.

Logix also allows you to create your own custom languages for Python's
VM. But for some reason, there does not seem to be much interest in
it's development. Odd, given that it has great potential.

I can only speculate - but I guess part of this lack of interest stems from
the fact that the PVM evolves around python itself - in contrast to JAVA,
where the JVM-spec is independen from the language itself. So a
PVM-dependend developer has way lesser guarantees that his endeavors will
work on the next generation PVM.

Diez

Ravi Teja

I did not mean the lack of interest on part of the developer. That was
explained here.
http://www.livelogix.net/logix/future-work.html
His complaints were Efficiency and Security.

I was wondering why the Python community did not show interest in this.
There is tremendous potential in this product. For example, web
frameworks and ORMs are well understood now and people constantly push
for more and more parsimonious representations. Logix makes writing
DSLs trivial with Lisp like ease without all the parentheses. What I am
surprised is why the framework authors did not leverage it yet.