Other Opera incorrect behaviour

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Severus Snape, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't comply.

    Severus Snape, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Severus Snape

    Randy Webb Guest

    Severus Snape wrote:

    > If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't comply.

    GOOD.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Severus Snape wrote:
    > If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't
    > comply.

    Quite right! There is absolutely no reason for making a window
    non-resizable. if you open the window the correct size the user will
    never attempt to re-size it so it doesn't matter whether it can be
    re-sized, and if you open it the wrong size (from the user's point of
    view) then the user needs to be able to re-size it.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Severus Snape <> writes:

    > If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't comply.

    One of the reasons I like Opera :) But not to bash other browsers,
    Mozilla based browsers since version 1.4 also allow resizing of opened
    windows even in the presence of "resizable=no" (see
    <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_window_ref76.htm>
    under "resizable").

    Luckily there is no de jura standard covering window.open :)

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:

    > Severus Snape <> writes:
    >

    >>If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't comply.

    > One of the reasons I like Opera :) But not to bash other browsers,
    > Mozilla based browsers since version 1.4 also allow resizing of opened
    > windows even in the presence of "resizable=no" (see
    > <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_window_ref76.htm>
    > under "resizable").

    I've made some tests, and actually mozilla 1.5 honors resizable, whareas
    1.7 doesn't. Netscape on the other hand is always compliant.

    Anyway I see your point. And I understand that you can have a very
    limited range of common features among different browser when it comes
    to window.open.

    Bye.

    Severus Snape, Jun 5, 2005
  6. Severus Snape

    Noozer Guest

    "Severus Snape" <> wrote in message
    > If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't comply.

    ....and if you specify "resizable=no" then you don't deserve to be writing
    webpages.

    Noozer, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Severus Snape <> writes:

    > I've made some tests, and actually mozilla 1.5 honors resizable, whareas
    > 1.7 doesn't. Netscape on the other hand is always compliant.

    I don't have Mozilla installed, but Firefox 1.04 does what the reference
    said: it makes the window borders undraggable and disables "size" on
    the window menu, but you can still drag the "grab" at the lower right
    of the status bar.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Jun 6, 2005
  8. On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:28:56 +0200, Severus Snape <>
    wrote:

    > If you open a window with resizable=no, Opera doesn't comply.

    And never will.

    1) It is user-hostile. Users expect to be able to resize windows, and can
    not tell why some windows suddenly disobey.

    2) It is a security problem. If an evil site opened
    https://login.myfavouritebank.com.evilsite.com/
    in a suitably narrow, unresizable popup the browser would only show the
    first part of the address in the address field, and many users would not
    understand how to check the full server name.

    resizable=no should never have been implemented anywhere.

    (Sorry to wake up an older thread)
    --
    Hallvord R. M. Steen
    Opera Software