OTish: convince the team to drop VBScript

Discussion in 'Python' started by rdmurray@bitdance.com, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. Guest

    "Christian R." <> wrote:
    > The company does use Python on rare occasions. It all comes down to
    > the prejudices and habits of one of the programmers. His only argument
    > I can't counter -because I don't see the problem- is that "Python
    > modules cause problems for updates to customer's installations".

    You don't really need arguments so much as you need negotiation, people
    management and (ugh) political skills, I think. Your task is to overcome
    his prejudices, and you aren't going to do that with arguments, no matter
    how good.

    IMO the first thing you ought to do is dig in, really listen, and find
    out what his issue is with module distribution.

    Listening well is your most powerful asset. Overcome your own prejudices
    first, and his may follow :)

    --RDM

    , Feb 28, 2009

  2. jkn Guest

    On Feb 28, 8:19 pm, wrote:
    [...]
    > IMO the first thing you ought to do is dig in, really listen, and find
    > out what his issue is with module distribution.
    >
    > Listening well is your most powerful asset. Overcome your own prejudices
    > first, and his may follow :)

    I agree with this. Find out what troubles him ... leave aside for now
    whether it's a true, or false, picture of reality as you understand
    it.

    This then leads to you painting a picture for him:

    "So ... if I could demonstrate for you a way in which Python [X Y
    Z ...], how would that be for you?"

    Keep refining this until his answer (in words or otherwise) is
    "Fantastic, great, super!".

    Find out what will allow him to buy into it for himself, and then
    build/demonstrate that.

    HTH
    J^n

    jkn, Mar 2, 2009