Our server just went down...what might be causing this?

darrel

Our site is built on .net and connects to a MS SQL database on another
server.

We're having a really odd problem. Our DB connection is down. So, SOME of
our aspx pages load up fine, but are missing the content that we usually
grab from the DB. The particular error is this:

Error accessing Database.
Timeout expired
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

OR this:

No error information available: E_FAIL(0x80004005).

On top of this, some (but not all) ASPX pages can no longer be 'found' by
IIS and redirect to our 404 page.

Any idea of what might be going on? To make things even odder, we can run
the entire site locally on our machines, connecting to the exact same DB
server and everything is fine. We've rebooted both servers, and still the
same error.

We're stumped.

-Darrel

darrel

Any idea of what might be going on? To make things even odder, we can run
the entire site locally on our machines, connecting to the exact same DB
server and everything is fine. We've rebooted both servers, and still the
same error.

Well, we figured out a workaround. For some reason our web server times out
when trying to access a specific instance of MS SQL on the DB server. Other
computers can access this instance just fine. If we have it access a
different instance, it works.

So, it appears it's a problem narrowed down to as specific server trying to
connect to a specific instance of MS SQL.

-Darrel