Out of memory compilation

Akanksha

Hey!

I have a little problem here.. I am trying to compile a huge C++ code
of about 2 lakh lines and the compilation gives me the following error

cc1plus: out of memory allocating 42381928 bytes after a total of
391704576 bytes
make: *** [model_1.o] Error 1

I am running this on a server with 4 GB RAM..

The code uses ILOG libraries.. ILOG is a licensed constraint solver...

Why would a code compilation need so much memory and how can I find
where exactly is it consuming so much memory?

Akanksha

Lionel B

Hey!

I have a little problem here.. I am trying to compile a huge C++ code of
about 2 lakh

I had to Google for that (my knowledge of languages of the Indian
subcontinent being non-existent). Would I be right in saying that 1 lakh
= 100,000?
lines and the compilation gives me the following error

cc1plus: out of memory allocating 42381928 bytes after a total of
391704576 bytes
make: *** [model_1.o] Error 1

I am running this on a server with 4 GB RAM..

That's a fair wack of memory to run out of...
The code uses ILOG libraries.. ILOG is a licensed constraint solver...

Why would a code compilation need so much memory and how can I find
where exactly is it consuming so much memory?

You'd probably be best to ask on a forum for your compiler (I'm guessing
GCC, so maybe try gnu.gcc.help or the GCC mailing lists).

Akanksha

Yea.. its 100,000 :)

I am using g++ which is why i posted here.. I ran a verbose mode and
it apparently takes max time in expand and combining.. I dont know
what that is.. Could anyone tell me where exactly does a compiler eat
memory?

Akanksha

[...]

Puppet_Sock

Could anyone tell me where exactly does a compiler eat
memory?

Yes. Someobody could tell you. In a news group dedicated
to your compiler and platform.

Search at groups.google.com for news groups that talk about
your compiler.

Also, don't top post. Top posting allows the Vorlons to
contact the foul Marmidons. And nobody wants that.

Not even the Vorlons.
Socks

Lionel B

Please don't top-post... like I'm doing now ;-)

Rearranged.

Akanksha

I had to Google for that (my knowledge of languages of the Indian
subcontinent being non-existent). Would I be right in saying that 1
lakh = 100,000?
Yea.. its 100,000 :)
[...]
You'd probably be best to ask on a forum for your compiler (I'm
guessing GCC, so maybe try gnu.gcc.help or the GCC mailing lists).
I am using g++ which is why i posted here..

If you're using g++ and the issue is compiler-specific (which it is and
therefore off-topic here), then why didn't you try on a GCC/g++ newsgroup
as suggested?

[...]
^^^^^^^^
Please don't quote signatures (a decent newsreader should lose them for
you).

Akanksha

Please don't top-post... like I'm doing now ;-)

Thanks! Will keep that in mind.. Am new to posting on forums :)
Rearranged.

Yea.. its 100,000 :)
[...]
Why would a code compilation need so much memory and how can I find
where exactly is it consuming so much memory?
You'd probably be best to ask on a forum for your compiler (I'm
guessing GCC, so maybe try gnu.gcc.help or the GCC mailing lists).
I am using g++ which is why i posted here..

If you're using g++ and the issue is compiler-specific (which it is and
therefore off-topic here), then why didn't you try on a GCC/g++ newsgroup
as suggested?

Did that!
[...]

^^^^^^^^