Out Of Memory - What Memory?

MSUTech

Hello All,

I am getting an ASP error.. that tells the server it is OUT OF MEMORY.. then
the server displays a message about the DLLHOST.exe and it waits for an "OK"
from me... after hitting OK... it goes back to working fine.... BUT, while
the notification is up on the screen... the website is NOT AVAILABLE.... that
is the message that visitors get when they try to get to the website....

so, is there a way I can tell the system to SKIP the notification ... and
just restart the service..... ?

ALSO... What memory is the issue here... I am assuming this memory error is
coming from an INFINITE LOOP or something... from one of my ASP pages... so,
I would imagine the best move would be to get RID of the "On Error Resume
Next" code at the top of my pages.. to try and isolate the problem?

thanks...

any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated...

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MSUTech said:
Hello All,

I am getting an ASP error.. that tells the server it is OUT OF
MEMORY.. then the server displays a message about the DLLHOST.exe and
it waits for an "OK" from me... after hitting OK... it goes back to
working fine.... BUT, while the notification is up on the screen...
the website is NOT AVAILABLE.... that is the message that visitors
get when they try to get to the website....

so, is there a way I can tell the system to SKIP the notification ...
and just restart the service..... ?

Nope. Not that I'm aware of.
ALSO... What memory is the issue here... I am assuming this memory
error is coming from an INFINITE LOOP or something... from one of my
ASP pages... so, I would imagine the best move would be to get RID of
the "On Error Resume Next" code at the top of my pages.. to try and
isolate the problem?
That would be a good thing to do. You should also check the IIS logs to see
what request was being worked on when the crash occurred. It will at least
help you concentrate on the correct page.

Go to www.iisfaq.com. They have some debugging tools that may prove usefull
(iisstate).

HTH,
Bob Barrows
PS. This newsgroup is deals mostly with programming issues. You may get more
useful answers about server problems from the .inetserver.iis newsgroup.

Curt_C [MVP]

MSUTech said:
[...]

What server OS are you running?
It's an IIS setting, not an ASP one by the way... you might want to hit
an IIS group, they could probably give you more pointers...

MSUTech

I am running Win 2000 Server...

I will go ahead and post this problem on that other newsgroup as well..

thanks...
--

Systems Programmer

JitGanguly

Its definately due to infinite loop/ large recordset etc. Could you post your
code ?Remember you ASP app should always be statless
1.Open connection
2.Get data
3.Close connection

Post code, I will help you out