Out of memory when having lot of memory!

jmr

Hi All,

Our aspnet application is randomly thrown this exception:
System.OutOfMemoryException

It only happens on our bigger 2003 server (4GB of ram!)

I've found this on Microsoft site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820108

This could be our problem but how to be sure ?
To be honest, I'm a bit nervous changing the boot.ini on a remote server.

Has someone already applied this /3GB stuff in boot.ini.

Thanks for any feedback,
Jean-Michel

chris

Hi All,

Our aspnet application is randomly thrown this exception:
System.OutOfMemoryException

It only happens on our bigger 2003 server (4GB of ram!)

I've found this on Microsoft site:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820108

This could be our problem but how to be sure ?
To be honest, I'm a bit nervous changing the boot.ini on a remote server.

Has someone already applied this /3GB stuff in boot.ini.

Thanks for any feedback,
Jean-Michel

You might have a memory leak.
Read http://www.codeproject.com/showcase/IfOnlyWedUsedANTSProfiler.asp
for a classic (costly) example as to how handlers can cause leaks.

bruce barker

the microsoft article is about the 3gb switch. normally a process can
only access 2gb of memory. the article you give allows modification of
nt to allow 3gb of memory. the 3gb switch limits the amount of memory
the os has access t0 (1gb), so you should only do this on a server thats
dedicated to one application, or nt might get out of memory errors.

a normal website should not be using 2gb of memory, unless there is a
memory leak, which is probably your problem.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello jmr,

the problem lays in the nature of CLR memory management.
The keyword is that memory MAY be fragmented.
As u may know memory is reserved in blocks 32/64mb, and when your app request
another 10kb, CLR might don't find enough place in fragmented memory to reserve
another block

just to google and u find some mine post where i described this
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...sult&cd=1&q=nemtsev+fragmented+memory&spell=1

---
WBR,

j> Hi All,
j>
j> Our aspnet application is randomly thrown this exception:
j> System.OutOfMemoryException
j>
j> It only happens on our bigger 2003 server (4GB of ram!)
j>
j> I've found this on Microsoft site:
j> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820108
j> This could be our problem but how to be sure ?
j> To be honest, I'm a bit nervous changing the boot.ini on a remote
j> server.
j> Has someone already applied this /3GB stuff in boot.ini.
j>
j> Thanks for any feedback,
j> Jean-Michel

jmr

bruce said:
the microsoft article is about the 3gb switch. normally a process can
only access 2gb of memory. the article you give allows modification of
nt to allow 3gb of memory. the 3gb switch limits the amount of memory
the os has access t0 (1gb), so you should only do this on a server thats
dedicated to one application, or nt might get out of memory errors.

a normal website should not be using 2gb of memory, unless there is a
memory leak, which is probably your problem.

Thanks for the answer.
So you if you want to develop a "non normal" website needing more
memory, you cannot just buy memory and put it into your box because
windows limitations !

Also, about memory leaks, some ASP.NET announces says it should not be a
problem:
ASP.NET ensures that your application is always available to your users.
* Memory Leak, DeadLock and Crash Protection. ASP.NET
automatically detects and recovers from errors like deadlocks and memory
leaks to ensure your application is always available to your users.

I must say I'm a bit disapointed.

Jean-Michel