    or as an executable binary on Windoze.

    --
    S.Allen
    barnyard Wednesday Jul 07 2004 10:25:01 PM EDT
    He thinks the Gettysburg Address is where Lincoln lived.
    -- Wanda, "A Fish Called Wanda"
    marathon, Jul 8, 2004

  2. marathon wrote:
    > I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt
    > to run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
    >
    > Is this a fault of the script or something else?

    It's the script. The problem is caused by the bug on line 679.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 8, 2004

  3. marathon

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, marathon wrote:

    > Folks:
    >
    > I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
    > run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
    >
    > Is this a fault of the script or something else?
    >
    > FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on Debian,
    > or as an executable binary on Windoze.

    Exactly how do you expect anyone to answer this question? You want us to
    tell you if there's a problem with a script we can't see?

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Jul 8, 2004
  4. marathon

    Tintin Guest

    "marathon" <> wrote in message
    > Folks:
    >
    > I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
    > run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
    >
    > Is this a fault of the script or something else?
    >
    > FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on

    Debian,
    > or as an executable binary on Windoze.

    Your while loop is incorrect. You shouldn't be recursively opening the
    files.
    Tintin, Jul 8, 2004
  5. marathon

    Clyde Ingram Guest

    Paul,

    "Paul Lalli" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, marathon wrote:
    > >
    > > Is this a fault of the script or something else?
    > >

    > Exactly how do you expect anyone to answer this question? You want us to
    > tell you if there's a problem with a script we can't see?

    Whoa, there!
    It's not Marathon Man's fault, you know.

    Google's first result on "dmg2iso" throws up:
    http://www.emaculation.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=213
    This is a News forum discussing conversion of DMG images to ISO format.
    But look at that beautifully crafted banner proclaiming "Emasculation.com".

    That's it -- the sample code snippets part of his posting got
    auto-emasculated.
    Check your Recycle Bin -- it'll all be there...

    Regards,
    Clyde
    Clyde Ingram, Jul 8, 2004
  6. marathon

    Clyde Ingram Guest

    "Purl Gurl" <> wrote in message
    > marathon wrote:
    >
    > > Is this a fault of the script or something else?

    > You need to declare local dynamic package global variables.

    Ah! The brilliance of it.
    And I was convinced he should have been declaring global static module local
    constants.
    Dang! (Where did I put that "Learning Perl"?)

    Regards,
    Clyde
    Clyde Ingram, Jul 8, 2004
  7. marathon

    marathon Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:27:07 -0400, Paul Lalli in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
    >On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, marathon wrote:

    >> Folks:
    >>
    >> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt to
    >> run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
    >>
    >> Is this a fault of the script or something else?
    >>
    >> FWIW, I get the same result, when I run the application as a script on Debian,
    >> or as an executable binary on Windoze.

    >Exactly how do you expect anyone to answer this question? You want us to
    >tell you if there's a problem with a script we can't see?

    Sorry, I'm not a Perl programmer and I was asking in the generic sense.
    I wished to know where to look, system or script. Now that I know it's
    the script, I'll ask the other helpful gentleman, who mentioned the
    line. Appears he knows the script.

    Thanks for the help, astonishing how the rest of the thread as
    detoriated. Is this indicative of the level of maturity found here? I
    hope not, reading some of the threads, this group sounds like an 'alt'
    group...

    --
    S.Allen
    barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 10:55:01 AM EDT
    marathon, Jul 8, 2004
  8. marathon

    marathon Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 05:15:23 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
    >marathon wrote:
    >> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt
    >> to run, it terminates with an out of memory error.
    >>
    >> Is this a fault of the script or something else?

    >It's the script. The problem is caused by the bug on line 679.

    Oh really?! OK so you're being facetious, I understand.

    I've put the script online, it's viewable here;

    <http://sweetpig.dyndns.org:1000/~steve123/dmg2iso.txt>

    What's output when run, is the following;

    reading property list...found 1 partitions
    decompressing:
    partition 0
    Out of memory!

    --
    S.Allen
    barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 11:00:01 AM EDT
    marathon, Jul 8, 2004
  9. marathon wrote:
    > Sorry, I'm not a Perl programmer and I was asking in the generic
    > sense.

    BS! You were referring to errors resulting from your attempts to run a
    script. Now I realize that it was probably just a veiled homework
    question. :(

    > Now that I know it's the script, I'll ask the other helpful
    > gentleman, who mentioned the line. Appears he knows the script.

    I thought it was the kind of answer your question deserved. Your
    'clarification' did not make me change my mind.

    > Thanks for the help, astonishing how the rest of the thread as
    > detoriated.

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jul 8, 2004
  10. marathon

    marathon Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:26:16 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
    >marathon wrote:
    >> Sorry, I'm not a Perl programmer and I was asking in the generic
    >> sense.

    >BS! You were referring to errors resulting from your attempts to run a
    >script. Now I realize that it was probably just a veiled homework
    >question. :(

    Now you're attempting to be a clarivoyant, a very poor one I might add.
    I'm not taking any perl courses my friend. So please take your
    susupicious nature somewhere else.

    I'm a layperson, asking a lay question. Is that too hard for you to
    grasp?

    >> Now that I know it's the script, I'll ask the other helpful
    >> gentleman, who mentioned the line. Appears he knows the script.

    >I thought it was the kind of answer your question deserved. Your
    >'clarification' did not make me change my mind.

    >> Thanks for the help, astonishing how the rest of the thread as
    >> detoriated.

    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Just to clarify, I suspected it was the script, but I needed
    clarification before posting the script in question. In hindsight, that
    perhaps wasn't the thing to do, but unlike you I'm not perfect.

    Have a good day chump! The world needs more helpful people like you.

    --
    S.Allen
    barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 12:10:02 PM EDT
    marathon, Jul 8, 2004
  11. marathon

    marathon Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:28:09 -0700, Purl Gurl in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
    >marathon wrote:

    >> I've put the script online, it's viewable here;

    >> <http://sweetpig.dyndns.org:1000/~steve123/dmg2iso.txt>

    >> What's output when run, is the following;

    >> reading property list...found 1 partitions
    >> decompressing:
    >> partition 0
    >> Out of memory!

    >That is a very poorly written script exhibiting lots
    >of logic errors, and non-fatal syntax errors. It is
    >a script written by an amateur.

    Well, I'm not surprised. But is there anything specific that's throwing
    the error, that can be corrected easily? I hear reports that some are
    having no problem with it... <shrug>

    >To correct that script would require a complete rewrite,
    >otherwords, a new script.

    OK.

    >Consider using a better written script.

    That's not an option, as the individual whom posted it, isn't
    responding, unfortunately. It was a nice deed he did though. Most of us
    using it, will be a "one of" kinda thing.

    Thanks for the reponse.

    --
    S.Allen
    barnyard Thursday Jul 08 2004 12:45:01 PM EDT
    marathon, Jul 8, 2004
  12. marathon <> wrote:
    > >marathon wrote:
    > >> I'm attempting to run a script that converts dmg2iso. Each attempt
    > >> to run, it terminates with an out of memory error.

    [...]
    > I've put the script online, it's viewable here;
    >
    > <http://sweetpig.dyndns.org:1000/~steve123/dmg2iso.txt>
    >
    > What's output when run, is the following;
    >
    > reading property list...found 1 partitions
    > decompressing:
    > partition 0
    > Out of memory!

    Have you tried debugging your script? For example, how big is $in_size
    when you try to read? What is the $block_type just before you run out
    of memory? How big is $output when you inflate your $tmp string?

    --
    Glenn Jackman
    NCF Sysadmin
    Glenn Jackman, Jul 8, 2004
  13. marathon

    marathon Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:13:24 GMT, Ala Qumsieh in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
    >marathon wrote:

    >> Well, I'm not surprised. But is there anything specific that's throwing
    >> the error, that can be corrected easily? I hear reports that some are
    >> having no problem with it... <shrug>

    >Here's a wild guess. Perhaps they are running it on machines that have
    >more memory than yours?

    Very doubtful. I have 2GB ram.

    --
    S.Allen
    barnyard Friday Jul 09 2004 01:20:01 PM EDT
    marathon, Jul 9, 2004
  14. marathon

    marathon Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:59:15 -0700, Purl Gurl in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:
    >marathon wrote:
    >
    >> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >> > marathon wrote:

    >(snipped)

    >> Now you're attempting to be a clarivoyant,

    >Being "clairvoyant" is precisely what is needed
    >to provide a decent answer to your original article.

    >Your original article is of poor quality which warrants
    >poor quality responses. You wrote a lazy article and
    >received lazy responses.

    >My suggestion is you exercise your mind before writing
    >articles rather than using the least amount of effort
    >possible to write an article.

    >You will be considered a troll if you do not invest
    >expected effort into your articles.

    Oh please, your eliteist attitude is quite evident Purl Gurl.

    >Answer this question for me,

    >My upload script does not work. What is wrong?

    I think I'll leave you to argue in your cesspool.

    marathon, Jul 9, 2004
  15. marathon <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:13:24 GMT, Ala Qumsieh in comp.lang.perl.misc wrote:

    >>Here's a wild guess. Perhaps they are running it on machines that have
    >>more memory than yours?

    > Very doubtful. I have 2GB ram.

    Perhaps they are running it with a smaller data set than you are?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jul 10, 2004