    common method involves an outlined approach - be it with roman numerals
    or other variations. How would I go about setting up my document such
    that it could be parsed and viewed in an outline format?
    jjf, Apr 6, 2005

  2. jjf

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:58:14 GMT, jjf <> wrote:

    >I am new to xml/sgml and am envisioning many uses.

    They've all been done already.

    Go read up on DocBook
    Andy Dingley, Apr 7, 2005

  3. jjf

    jjf Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:58:14 GMT, jjf <> wrote:
    >

    >>I am new to xml/sgml and am envisioning many uses.

    > They've all been done already.
    >
    > Go read up on DocBook

    I have seached Oriely's DocBook manual and see nothing on outlining

    A. Topic
    a. sub topic
    i. tertiary topic

    What am I missing - is this called something else?
    jjf, Apr 11, 2005
  4. jjf

    Peter Flynn Guest

    jjf wrote:

    > I am new to xml/sgml and am envisioning many uses. One in particular
    > would be to use it for creating technical specs for our products. A
    > common method involves an outlined approach - be it with roman numerals
    > or other variations. How would I go about setting up my document such
    > that it could be parsed and viewed in an outline format?

    Do you really mean outlines, or do you just mean numbered sections and
    subsections?

    Outlining is a technique for setting up a collapsed preview of a document
    structure, where the sections and lists are shortened to a few words
    followed by ellipsis, so that the the sections you are not editing at the
    time don't take up scroll space. This is an editor function, nothing to do
    with XML. Many XML editors already implement it.

    If you just mean numbered/lettered sections and subsections, then any decent
    tech doc Schema or DTD will have robustly identified sections and
    subsections which any decent editor or formatting system can autonumber
    for you.

    Which one did you mean?

    ///Peter
    &;top"