Outlook 2003 & ASP.NET ? Please Help !!!

Nakah

Hi,
I have made an assembly that access to Outlook 2003 through
Microsoft.Interop.Office.Outlook assembly. My library works fine with
Windows applications. However, when I try to use it with ASP.NET
applications, I have this error :

Access is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.

granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
boxes for the desired access.

I have tried <identity impersonate="true" userName="MyMachine\MyUser"
password="p@Ssword"/> but I have still the same error.
Can anybody help me please ?

Guest

you probably need to give file permissions to either the IUSR... account or
the ASPNET account, or the Win Server 2003 equiv to the Outlook dll. It
sounds like the sort of error people used to get when accessing
FileSystemObject in old asp.

when you access things through asp.net it uses a different account than that
of which you would you on a desktop app. So the asp.net user account will
need to get the same permissions on the dll that you have.

Nakah

Ok, but how can I give file permissions to the IUSR or ASPNET account if the
Outlook dll is in the GAC ?

Scott Allen

Ok, but how can I give file permissions to the IUSR or ASPNET account if the
Outlook dll is in the GAC ?

I don't think you'll see the access denied message because of the not
being able to reach the interop dll. More likely it is another
resource ASPNET cannot access, like the actual .pst file.

Guest

scott has a good point, probably better looking at this file.

with regards to the gac, the file exists somewhere on the pc. you need to
find it and add it there.