outlook 2003 html rendering

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kobus.dp@gmail.com, Dec 5, 2008.

  1. Guest

    We have a simple PHP loop which generates an html email which
    dispatchest. Outlook 2003 then renders the loops differently. e.g.

    style=3D'font-size:7.5pt;font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"'>4.
    Correct
    <o:p></o:p>

    ------------------------------- notice the random space within
    "correct" below.

    style=3D'font-size:7.5pt;font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"'>8.
    Co rrect
    <o:p></o:p>

    -------------------------------

    Outlook 2007 does the following with the same email (pretty)

    ---------------

    Is there any way to rectify this or is it entirely up to Outlook 2003?
    None of the other email clients are giving this problem.

    Thanks
    , Dec 5, 2008

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > We have a simple PHP loop which generates an html email which
    > dispatchest. Outlook 2003 then renders the loops differently. e.g.

    > style=3D'font-size:7.5pt;font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"'>4.
    > Correct
    > <o:p></o:p>
    >
    > ------------------------------- notice the random space within
    > "correct" below.

    > style=3D'font-size:7.5pt;font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"'>8.
    > Co rrect
    > <o:p></o:p>
    >
    > -------------------------------
    >
    > Outlook 2007 does the following with the same email (pretty)

    > ---------------
    >
    > Is there any way to rectify this or is it entirely up to Outlook 2003?
    > None of the other email clients are giving this problem.
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't use Outlook, or Outlook Express, or even Thunderbird. I use
    Pegasus Mail. Did you test with that? Probably not.

    There IS a reason I am saying this - that as difficult as it is getting
    non-standard, propietary markup to look good across browsers, getting it
    to "work" across myriad email clients is almost impossible.

    Why do I say "almost" impossible? Because the best method is plain text
    with a plain text link to the HTML content. Plain text works the same
    in everyone's email client, probably won't be rejected by spam filters,
    cannot contain viruses (unless they come as an attachment), and load
    WAAAAYY faster.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 5, 2008

  3. wrote:

    > We have a simple PHP loop which generates an html email which
    > dispatchest.

    Is there a URL through which we could check what the html email really
    contains?

    > Outlook 2003 then renders the loops differently. e.g.

    Loops? What loops? There are no loops in HTML or in email.

    You're apparently showing us something Q encoded. This is one reason why a
    URL would be essential.

    > style=3D'font-size:7.5pt;font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"'>4.
    > Correct
    > <o:p></o:p>

    Was this monstrosity generated by your code or are you actually showing us
    just the result of munging by Outlook? In addition to the highly
    questionable (well, wrong) font size of 7.5pt, it contains the bogus font
    name "sans-serif" (which by definition refers to a font with that name as
    its proper name, not to the generic font as per CSS specs).

    And you have redundant (and potentially risky) <p> inside <td> (even though
    there is no _paragraph_ there), useless <span> inside the <td>, and
    proprietary <o:p> markup.

    > ------------------------------- notice the random space within
    > "correct" below.

    We cannot assign the guilt without getting at least one solid fact, like a
    URL.

    > Outlook 2007 does the following with the same email (pretty)

    So it also changes "4. Correct" to "12. Incorrect"? Fascinating.

    Changing pt sized font size to px sized is just normal bogosity. If that's
    what happens.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 5, 2008