    Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? I couldn't find what I need on CPAN.

    Thanks
    -Mark
    Mark, Sep 14, 2003

  2. On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:18:17 -0700
    "Mark" <> wrote:

    > Are there any modules available that can read and/or write address
    > books for Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? I couldn't find what
    > I need on CPAN.

    http://search.cpan.org/
    search keyword: outlook

    first item thats shows is: mbx2mbox

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Actors will happen even in the best-regulated families.
    James Willmore, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "James Willmore" <> wrote:
    > http://search.cpan.org/
    > search keyword: outlook
    >
    > first item thats shows is: mbx2mbox

    Yes, but the several Perl modules that "read" an OE
    address book, actually require that the data be exported
    from OE first. OE only exports its address book as
    comma-separated values (*.CSV). Unfortunately, this is
    a useless format, since data fields in the OE address book
    fields can (and often will) contain commas. The output
    cannot be parsed reliably.

    So I was hoping for a Perl module that can actually read
    the OE address book's binary format directly.
    Mark, Sep 16, 2003
  4. On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:05:54 -0700
    "Mark" <> wrote:
    > Yes, but the several Perl modules that "read" an OE
    > address book, actually require that the data be exported
    > from OE first. OE only exports its address book as
    > comma-separated values (*.CSV). Unfortunately, this is
    > a useless format, since data fields in the OE address book
    > fields can (and often will) contain commas. The output
    > cannot be parsed reliably.
    >
    > So I was hoping for a Perl module that can actually read
    > the OE address book's binary format directly.

    Ah ... well, you could examine the exported OE file in a hex editor to
    see if M$ put in some hidden characters. Or, you could see if the
    file follows a pattern and then code for that pattern (think pack or
    regular expression).

    All of these suggestions are based on opinion based upon some
    experience with other files that needed parsing. It _may_ look like a
    CSV file, but is it _really_ a CSV file? Is it something that, when
    looked at from a fresh perspective, something that can be parsed?

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    If it's Tuesday, this must be someone else's fortune.
    James Willmore, Sep 18, 2003
  5. Mark

    Mihai N. Guest

    > So I was hoping for a Perl module that can actually read
    > the OE address book's binary format directly.

    I'm afraid the only decent solution is OLE.

    Mihai
    Mihai N., Sep 18, 2003