Outlook Address Books and Perl?

Mark

Are there any modules available that can read and/or write address books for
Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? I couldn't find what I need on CPAN.

Thanks
-Mark

James Willmore

Are there any modules available that can read and/or write address
books for Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? I couldn't find what
I need on CPAN.

http://search.cpan.org/
search keyword: outlook

first item thats shows is: mbx2mbox

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Actors will happen even in the best-regulated families.

Mark

James Willmore said:
http://search.cpan.org/
search keyword: outlook

first item thats shows is: mbx2mbox

Yes, but the several Perl modules that "read" an OE
address book, actually require that the data be exported
from OE first. OE only exports its address book as
comma-separated values (*.CSV). Unfortunately, this is
a useless format, since data fields in the OE address book
fields can (and often will) contain commas. The output
cannot be parsed reliably.

So I was hoping for a Perl module that can actually read
the OE address book's binary format directly.

James Willmore

Yes, but the several Perl modules that "read" an OE
address book, actually require that the data be exported
from OE first. OE only exports its address book as
comma-separated values (*.CSV). Unfortunately, this is
a useless format, since data fields in the OE address book
fields can (and often will) contain commas. The output
cannot be parsed reliably.

So I was hoping for a Perl module that can actually read
the OE address book's binary format directly.

Ah ... well, you could examine the exported OE file in a hex editor to
see if M$ put in some hidden characters. Or, you could see if the
file follows a pattern and then code for that pattern (think pack or
regular expression).

All of these suggestions are based on opinion based upon some
experience with other files that needed parsing. It _may_ look like a
CSV file, but is it _really_ a CSV file? Is it something that, when
looked at from a fresh perspective, something that can be parsed?

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
If it's Tuesday, this must be someone else's fortune.