Outlook Web Access- Push Technology

Guest

I'd like to replicate the push technology of Microsoft OutLook Web where when
a new email is sent to the logged in user a temporary window pops up with the
text 'You have new mail'. The same text also appears in the bottom left bar
of the application.

I'm more interested in the actual technology behind this. How is the 'Push'
implemented? Script Callbacks, XMLHTTP, or is it a true 'Push' with
Subsriber/Publisher functionality?

Seems like Java has the technology for implementing Push's, but looking
through the MSDN newsgroups, that does not seem possible(or feasible) in .NET.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Jeff @ Dart

I believe you are probably correct in your "script callback" guess.

There are several implementations of this in .NET. Some free (such as
the upcoming callback support in ASP.NET 2.0) .

HOWEVER, if you would like to save considerable development time, you
may want to check out our product PowerWEB LiveControls for ASP.NET. It
is a suite of 20+ controls that handle the callback AND the JavaScript
client-side updating for you (not to mention state management, iterop
with 3rd party controls, etc), simply by using standard control
techniques (for example, setting Label.Text causes the equivalent
javascript to be sent to the client). As a result, it is much easier to
write complex remote scripted apps than doing a custom implementation
for each callback.

Check it out. I think this live demo shows something that approximates
a "server push"
http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/di...me_data.ascx&heading=Streaming Real Time Data

Or just download it and try it yourself
http://www.dart.com/expanded/livecontrols.aspx