    why after a few hot deploys i get OutOfMemory Exception (i've allready
    increased xmx and xms)

    , May 21, 2007

  2. Tom Hawtin Guest

    wrote:

    > why after a few hot deploys i get OutOfMemory Exception (i've allready
    > increased xmx and xms)

    Probably a memory leak then. A number of pieces of code in Sun's JRE can
    leak class loaders (and hence all the classes and other data associated
    with them). ThreadLocal is the common one. But java.beans and JDBC also
    do it.

    You can use a memory profiler to tell where the problem is. Googling can
    give you more details.

    It may be the permanent generation (code and interned strings) that is
    running out. IIRC, -XX:MaxPermSize is the Sun option to increase that.

    Tom Hawtin

    Tom Hawtin, May 21, 2007

    which java Profiler should i use?

    and should i use the syntax java -XX:MaxPermSize=1024 ? (in jboss
    command line run.bat)

    On May 21, 8:07 pm, Tom Hawtin <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > why after a few hot deploys i get OutOfMemory Exception (i've allready
    > > increased xmx and xms)

    > Probably a memory leak then. A number of pieces of code in Sun's JRE can
    > leak class loaders (and hence all the classes and other data associated
    > with them). ThreadLocal is the common one. But java.beans and JDBC also
    > do it.
    >
    > You can use a memory profiler to tell where the problem is. Googling can
    > give you more details.
    >
    > It may be the permanent generation (code and interned strings) that is
    > running out. IIRC, -XX:MaxPermSize is the Sun option to increase that.
    >
    > Tom Hawtin

    , May 26, 2007
  4. wrote:

    Please refrain from top-posting.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.html#toppost>

    >...should i use the syntax java -XX:MaxPermSize=1024 ? (in jboss
    >command line run.bat)

    If the problem is a memory leak as Tom suggested, no.
    At least, not unless you consider that doubling the
    memory might allow the app. to run (roughly) twice
    as long before failing, and that makes for 'a solution'.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, May 26, 2007
  5. Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > Please refrain from top-posting.
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.html#toppost>
    >
    >> ...should i use the syntax java -XX:MaxPermSize=1024 ? (in jboss
    >> command line run.bat)

    > If the problem is a memory leak as Tom suggested, no.
    > At least, not unless you consider that doubling the
    > memory might allow the app. to run (roughly) twice
    > as long before failing, and that makes for 'a solution'.

    Other options that may help you avoid the real problem until it pops up in
    production at the least opportune moment:

    -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
    -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled

    --
    Lew

    Lew, May 27, 2007
  6. Lew wrote:
    >> ...might allow the app. to run (roughly) twice
    >> as long before failing, and that makes for 'a solution'.

    >Other options that may help you avoid the real problem until it pops up in
    >production at the least opportune moment:
    >
    >-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
    >-XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled

    Huhh. Those options are new to me. I'll have to
    look them up!

    Andrew Thompson, May 27, 2007
  7. Lew Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    > ..
    >>> ...might allow the app. to run (roughly) twice
    >>> as long before failing, and that makes for 'a solution'.

    >> Other options that may help you avoid the real problem until it pops up in
    >> production at the least opportune moment:
    >>
    >> -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
    >> -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled

    > Huhh. Those options are new to me. I'll have to
    > look them up!

    It's something I lifted from NetBeans's config file examples.

    Options like this are nearly undocumented, perhaps for a reason.

    I found
    <http://blogs.sun.com/watt/resource/jvm-options-list.html>

    --
    Lew

    Lew, May 27, 2007
  8. Lew wrote:
    (a variey of -XX options to java)
    >It's something I lifted from NetBeans's config file examples.
    >
    >Options like this are nearly undocumented, perhaps for a reason.

    Yes. Them non-standard options are always to
    be treated with a grain of salt (here one release,
    possibly gone the next?).

    >I found
    ><http://blogs.sun.com/watt/resource/jvm-options-list.html>

    Thanks.