output jpg stored in database as long binary to asp: how?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by bart plessers, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    For a while I am working with ThumbsPlus ( http://www.cerious.com/ ) as
    manager for pics.
    The benefit of the program is that it stores all kind of information in a
    central Microsoft Database that easily can be manipulated.
    A thumbnail of the picture is also stored in de MDB as long binary (jpeg
    format)

    I made a small script that extracts all kind of information of the MDB by
    use of queries and ASP.
    This works perfect for string/numerical information.

    I am wondering if I can also write the stored (jpg)thumbnail to the asp file
    so that I have a preview of my picture.

    Can this be done? What is the syntax?
    I tried already :

    Response.BinaryWrite BinData

    Where BinData is the contents of the Thumbnail field.
    When I take a look at the MDB table in design view, the DataType of this
    field is "OLE object", if I open the table, the contents of the field
    displays "long binary data".

    Has anybody an idea?

    any help is appreciated!

    tia