Output streams and sockets

Aziz

Hi,

Being a newbie in network programming, I've got difficulties
understading the following problem:

I use XOM as xml parser and writer. It has a serialiser object, which
it can write to output streams. I've tried severel things to send data
through sockets, but because of the buffering mechanism, it doesn't
get sent until i close the OutputStream, but then, the socket also
gets closed.

serialiser.write(doc);
serialiser.flush(); // data not sent
out.flush(); //data not sent
out.close(); //data sent, but the socket closed too.

What I'd like is some trick to send data without closing the
underlying socket. By the way, why out.flush() just don't do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Aziz.

Oliver Wong

Aziz said:
Hi,

Being a newbie in network programming, I've got difficulties
understading the following problem:

I use XOM as xml parser and writer. It has a serialiser object, which
it can write to output streams. I've tried severel things to send data
through sockets, but because of the buffering mechanism, it doesn't
get sent until i close the OutputStream, but then, the socket also
gets closed.

serialiser.write(doc);
serialiser.flush(); // data not sent
out.flush(); //data not sent
out.close(); //data sent, but the socket closed too.

What I'd like is some trick to send data without closing the
underlying socket. By the way, why out.flush() just don't do the job?

How do you determine that the data was not sent? What does the code that
does the reading look like? Does it perhaps do a readline(), but the data
sent doesn't contain any newlines?

- Oliver