outputcache - clientside caching not working?

Dave Bartlett

I'm wondering why, when I turn on output caching for a page using:
outputcache duration="60" varybyparam="*" Location="Any"
that it appears not to cache on the clientside. No Temporary Internet Files
are generated and subsequent requests to the same page always do a round
trip to the server.

Any ideas?

Natty Gur

hi,

outputcache is responsible for caching page output on SERVER side to
reduce page processing. it doesn’t have any impact on client side
caching. you should use Response.Cache to set client side caching.
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/
html/frlrfSystemWebHttpResponseClassCacheTopic.asp)

you might find caching pattern and practice article useful as well :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/
html/aspnet-cachingtechniquesbestpract.asp

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377