Outputting to specific sound channels?

Davin Boling

I'm a rather new programmer - been messing around with Python for about
half a year or so. I play a few online games and run a Teamspeak server.
Recently I've found myself wanting to make a "sound board" program that
lets me play prerecorded sounds over the microphone channel. :D

What is the best way to go about doing this? I don't believe there's
anything in the standard library that handles this, so I'd *probably*
want to use SDL or something similar. Does anyone know of a solution
that not only allows you to play sounds from Python, but also output
those sounds to a channel other than Wave? (such as Microphone)

Thanks in advance, I'll toss any worthwhile creations that result from
the knowledge your way. ;D

Steve Holden

Davin said:
I'm a rather new programmer - been messing around with Python for about
half a year or so. I play a few online games and run a Teamspeak server.
Recently I've found myself wanting to make a "sound board" program that
lets me play prerecorded sounds over the microphone channel. :D

What is the best way to go about doing this? I don't believe there's
anything in the standard library that handles this, so I'd *probably*
want to use SDL or something similar. Does anyone know of a solution
that not only allows you to play sounds from Python, but also output
those sounds to a channel other than Wave? (such as Microphone)

Thanks in advance, I'll toss any worthwhile creations that result from
the knowledge your way. ;D

It seems almost churlish to ask if you realise that a microphone is an
input device.

I presume you want to mix inputs with Python and produce appropriate
outputs? "snack" comes to mind, though I truly don't know enough to say
whether it can do what you want.

regards
Steve

Peter L Hansen

Steve said:
It seems almost churlish to ask if you realise that a microphone is an
input device.

Come on, Steve, haven't you ever seen a speaker built to act
bidirectionally, so it can be used both as an output or an input?
They're very handy in intercom systems and are quite fun to build
from scratch, for a beginner like I am. :)

-Peter

Steve Holden

Peter said:
Steve Holden wrote:
[...]
It seems almost churlish to ask if you realise that a microphone is an
input device.

Come on, Steve, haven't you ever seen a speaker built to act
bidirectionally, so it can be used both as an output or an input?
They're very handy in intercom systems and are quite fun to build
from scratch, for a beginner like I am. :)

-Peter

Well I realize you know hardly anything about electronics, Peter, but
even you have to admit that a speaker makes a much better input
transducer than a microphone is likely to make an output transducer, if
only because of the lower power-handling capacity.

I was going to add to my folly by chuntering on about electrostatic
microphones until I remembered that you can also buy electrostatic speakers.

still-looking-for-a-100-watt-microphone-ly y'rs - steve

Peter L Hansen

Steve said:
Well I realize you know hardly anything about electronics, Peter, but
even you have to admit that a speaker makes a much better input
transducer than a microphone is likely to make an output transducer, if
only because of the lower power-handling capacity.

Steve, Steve, you're like, what 45 or something? and your hearing
is way too far gone to hear the output of a microphone. The rest
of us, us young 'uns, don't have any such troubles... :) :)
I was going to add to my folly by chuntering on about electrostatic
microphones until I remembered that you can also buy electrostatic
speakers.

-he's-probably-going-colour-blind-too-ly y'rs,
Peter

Steve Holden

Peter said:
Steve, Steve, you're like, what 45 or something? and your hearing
is way too far gone to hear the output of a microphone. The rest
of us, us young 'uns, don't have any such troubles... :) :)

-he's-probably-going-colour-blind-too-ly y'rs,
Peter

I'll have you know that my hearing is particularly acute. Comes from my
misspent youth, listening in the wee small hours of the morning for a
ten watt transmitter on the other side of the Atlantic.

In fact, I distinctly heard you smiling as you typed that last reply.

but-my-short-term-memory-is-somewhat-impaired-ly y'rs - steve

[thinks: didn't I have somewhere to go?]

Nicola Larosa