overflow in table from one column to next

Mel

Hi all;

is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
first column to second ?

David Dorward

Mel said:
is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
first column to second ?

No, and it would be really odd tabular data if it was possible.

CSS 3 proposes a means of having columns, but I wouldn't suggest using them
when the spec becomes a recomendation as dealing with columns on screen is
a truly horrible experience (scroll up, scroll down, scroll up, scroll
down, scroll up, scroll down, scream in frustration, etc).

Neredbojias

Hi all;

is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
first column to second ?

It depends. You can do:

col 1, line 1 > col 2, line 1 > ...col N, line 1 > col1, line 2...

But I know no way of doing:

col 1, line 1 > col 1, line 2 > ...col 1, line N > col 2, line 1...

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
But I know no way of doing:

col 1, line 1 > col 1, line 2 > ...col 1, line N > col 2, line 1...

Except of course in the "normal" way of floating the whole right column and
letting it drop under the left which is usually viewed as undesirable.

Andy Dingley

Mel said:
is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
first column to second ?

Not in HTML. These would be described as "newspaper columns" and
they're a useful feature in paper-based typesetting. It's a limitation
in HTML/CSS that it just doesn't do flow models in this way. You can do
it through XSL:FO or PDF though.

OTOH, they're a damn nuisance to read on the web (or on screen at all)
because our scrolling tends to be quite linear and a "long page" isn't
the problem it would be with physical paper. Try reading a long PDF,
like an academic paper, some time. They're often laid out with 3 or 4
columns for printing on A4, but they're a nuisance to read on screen.