    Hi all;

    is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
    first column to second ?
    Mel, May 15, 2006

  2. Mel wrote:

    > is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
    > first column to second ?

    No, and it would be really odd tabular data if it was possible.

    CSS 3 proposes a means of having columns, but I wouldn't suggest using them
    when the spec becomes a recomendation as dealing with columns on screen is
    a truly horrible experience (scroll up, scroll down, scroll up, scroll
    down, scroll up, scroll down, scream in frustration, etc).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, May 15, 2006

  3. Mel

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Mel" <>
    vouchsafed:

    > Hi all;
    >
    > is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
    > first column to second ?

    It depends. You can do:

    col 1, line 1 > col 2, line 1 > ...col N, line 1 > col1, line 2...

    But I know no way of doing:

    col 1, line 1 > col 1, line 2 > ...col 1, line N > col 2, line 1...

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, May 15, 2006
  4. Mel

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Neredbojias
    <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> vouchsafed:

    > But I know no way of doing:
    >
    > col 1, line 1 > col 1, line 2 > ...col 1, line N > col 2, line 1...

    Except of course in the "normal" way of floating the whole right column and
    letting it drop under the left which is usually viewed as undesirable.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, May 15, 2006
  5. Mel

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Mel wrote:

    > is it possible to have a 2 column table and have the content flow from
    > first column to second ?

    Not in HTML. These would be described as "newspaper columns" and
    they're a useful feature in paper-based typesetting. It's a limitation
    in HTML/CSS that it just doesn't do flow models in this way. You can do
    it through XSL:FO or PDF though.

    OTOH, they're a damn nuisance to read on the web (or on screen at all)
    because our scrolling tends to be quite linear and a "long page" isn't
    the problem it would be with physical paper. Try reading a long PDF,
    like an academic paper, some time. They're often laid out with 3 or 4
    columns for printing on A4, but they're a nuisance to read on screen.
    Andy Dingley, May 16, 2006