Overflow Scroll in Firefox

markalroberts

Hi,

I am writing an intranet web-application that performs very similarly
to standard forms application.

It all fits on one page (i.e. no scrolling of entire page), with a
fixed header, footer, and dynamically sizable content with two or three
scrollable areas.

Currently it works very well in IE, but I'd quite like to get it to
work in Firefox also.

(One) of the problems i'm encountering is different ways IE and Firefox
seem to treat scrollable divs.

If i've got a div that set to overflow scroll, and is 100% of it's
parent, i'd expect it to start scrolling when the parent wants to
shrink... this is how IE behaves. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work
in Firefox.

Here some very simple HTML that demonstrates:

<head>
<title>Test page</title>
body { margin:0; padding:0;}
</head>
100%">
Content<br />
More content

Many thanks,
Mark.

Els

(One) of the problems i'm encountering is different ways IE and Firefox
seem to treat scrollable divs.

If i've got a div that set to overflow scroll, and is 100% of it's
parent, i'd expect it to start scrolling when the parent wants to
shrink... this is how IE behaves. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work
in Firefox.

Here some very simple HTML that demonstrates:
[snip]

Please provide a URL when you want to show a problem.

IE is usually wrong, Firefox is usually right. Chances are, that if
you would add a doctype declaration to the top of your file, to push
IE into standards mode, IE will have the same problem as Firefox.
(haven't tried, but that's what usually happens)

markalroberts

Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
discussions of whos wrong and whos right.

I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

Regards,
Mark.

Travis Newbury

Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

Yea, this is the way to make friends....

Peter

Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
discussions of whos wrong and whos right.

I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

Regards,
Mark.
Take Els´ advise. She is always right
Peter

Els

Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
discussions of whos wrong and whos right.

Who said anything about who's wrong and who's right? You mean my
saying Firefox gets it right? That's not a subject of discussion. It's
just usually the case. Fact. Whether you are right or wrong isn't
interesting, so I agree - no need for discussion about that.
I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

You just did get some help, didn't you?

Els

Peter said:
Take Els´ advise.

Take Peter's advice ;-)
She is always right

No Peter, I'm not always right.
(wish it were true though - then I would write a big book about HTML
and CSS and tell Eric Meyer to get another job <g>)

Peter

Els said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Who said anything about who's wrong and who's right? You mean my
saying Firefox gets it right? That's not a subject of discussion. It's
just usually the case. Fact. Whether you are right or wrong isn't
interesting, so I agree - no need for discussion about that.

You just did get some help, didn't you?
;-) :-*
Peter

SpaceGirl

Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
discussions of whos wrong and whos right.

I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

Regards,
Mark.

Frankly, you should just leave now and dont bother coming back. You dont
seem to be a very nice person, or too dumb to understand Els was giving
you a reasonable answer.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

markalroberts

I'm a jolly nice person. I guess I was rather suspecting a rant about
which browser does it best by the HTML fascists... so was a little
quick off the trigger when it starts to go down that road.

Apologies if indeed I'm wrong and you're not all adorned with
swastikas, and indeed wish to assist someone trying to develop a
solution using both the most common and the most adored browsers.

xxx

Els

I'm a jolly nice person. I guess I was rather suspecting a rant about
which browser does it best by the HTML fascists... so was a little
quick off the trigger when it starts to go down that road.

Apologies if indeed I'm wrong and you're not all adorned with
swastikas, and indeed wish to assist someone trying to develop a
solution using both the most common and the most adored browsers.

Rants will follow if you toppost again though! ;-)

Now - back to your initial request: did you add a complete doctype
declaration yet, and maybe even upload the problem page so we can have
a look at it?