Overflow Scroll in Firefox

Discussion in 'HTML' started by markalroberts@gmail.com, Jun 4, 2005.

    I am writing an intranet web-application that performs very similarly
    to standard forms application.

    It all fits on one page (i.e. no scrolling of entire page), with a
    fixed header, footer, and dynamically sizable content with two or three
    scrollable areas.

    Currently it works very well in IE, but I'd quite like to get it to
    work in Firefox also.

    (One) of the problems i'm encountering is different ways IE and Firefox
    seem to treat scrollable divs.

    If i've got a div that set to overflow scroll, and is 100% of it's
    parent, i'd expect it to start scrolling when the parent wants to
    shrink... this is how IE behaves. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work
    in Firefox.

    Here some very simple HTML that demonstrates:

    <head>
    <title>Test page</title>
    body { margin:0; padding:0;}
    </head>
    100%">
    Content<br />
    More content

    Many thanks,
    Mark.

    , Jun 4, 2005

  2. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > (One) of the problems i'm encountering is different ways IE and Firefox
    > seem to treat scrollable divs.
    >
    > If i've got a div that set to overflow scroll, and is 100% of it's
    > parent, i'd expect it to start scrolling when the parent wants to
    > shrink... this is how IE behaves. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work
    > in Firefox.
    >
    > Here some very simple HTML that demonstrates:

    [snip]

    Please provide a URL when you want to show a problem.

    IE is usually wrong, Firefox is usually right. Chances are, that if
    you would add a doctype declaration to the top of your file, to push
    IE into standards mode, IE will have the same problem as Firefox.
    (haven't tried, but that's what usually happens)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 4, 2005

    Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    discussions of whos wrong and whos right.

    I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

    Regards,
    Mark.

    , Jun 4, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    > discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
    > I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    > from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

    Yea, this is the way to make friends....

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Peter Guest

    wrote:

    >Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    >discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
    >
    >I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    >from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).
    >
    >Regards,
    >Mark.

    Take Els´ advise. She is always right
    Peter

    Peter, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    > discussions of whos wrong and whos right.

    Who said anything about who's wrong and who's right? You mean my
    saying Firefox gets it right? That's not a subject of discussion. It's
    just usually the case. Fact. Whether you are right or wrong isn't
    interesting, so I agree - no need for discussion about that.

    > I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    > from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

    You just did get some help, didn't you?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Els Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    >>discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
    >>
    >>I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    >>from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).

    > Take Els´ advise.

    Take Peter's advice ;-)

    > She is always right

    No Peter, I'm not always right.
    (wish it were true though - then I would write a big book about HTML
    and CSS and tell Eric Meyer to get another job <g>)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Peter Guest

    Els wrote:

    > wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    >>discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
    >>

    >Who said anything about who's wrong and who's right? You mean my
    >saying Firefox gets it right? That's not a subject of discussion. It's
    >just usually the case. Fact. Whether you are right or wrong isn't
    >interesting, so I agree - no need for discussion about that.
    >

    >>I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    >>from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).
    >>

    >You just did get some help, didn't you?

    ;-) :-*
    Peter

    Peter, Jun 4, 2005
  9. SpaceGirl Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    > discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
    >
    > I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    > from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Mark.

    Frankly, you should just leave now and dont bother coming back. You dont
    seem to be a very nice person, or too dumb to understand Els was giving
    you a reasonable answer.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 4, 2005

    I'm a jolly nice person. I guess I was rather suspecting a rant about
    which browser does it best by the HTML fascists... so was a little
    quick off the trigger when it starts to go down that road.

    Apologies if indeed I'm wrong and you're not all adorned with
    swastikas, and indeed wish to assist someone trying to develop a
    solution using both the most common and the most adored browsers.

    xxx

    SpaceGirl wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Thanks.... i'm hoping not to get into the (frankly rather pathetic)
    > > discussions of whos wrong and whos right.
    > >
    > > I'm a big boy now, and I want to do my job, hopefully can get some help
    > > from these newgroups (and perhaps offer some in return).
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Mark.
    > >

    > Frankly, you should just leave now and dont bother coming back. You dont
    > seem to be a very nice person, or too dumb to understand Els was giving
    > you a reasonable answer.
    >
    > --
    >

    > x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
    >
    > # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    > # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

    , Jun 4, 2005
  11. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm a jolly nice person. I guess I was rather suspecting a rant about
    > which browser does it best by the HTML fascists... so was a little
    > quick off the trigger when it starts to go down that road.
    >
    > Apologies if indeed I'm wrong and you're not all adorned with
    > swastikas, and indeed wish to assist someone trying to develop a
    > solution using both the most common and the most adored browsers.

    Rants will follow if you toppost again though! ;-)

    Now - back to your initial request: did you add a complete doctype
    declaration yet, and maybe even upload the problem page so we can have
    a look at it?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -