    'overflow: scroll' attribute?

    TIA,

    Karl

    kjs, Nov 20, 2005

  2. kjs

    kjs Guest

    I answered my own question by consulting c.i.w.a.h google group archives (an
    Oct 25, 2000 posting from Robert Norris).

    Cheers.

    kjs, Nov 20, 2005

  3. kjs napisa³(a):
    > I answered my own question by consulting c.i.w.a.h google group archives (an
    > Oct 25, 2000 posting from Robert Norris).

    My advice is, that you better rely on much newer posts.
    Styling scrollbars is IE-only trick and won't work in other browsers.

    --
    Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak

    Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak, Nov 20, 2005
  4. kjs

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As if the love poetry wasn't enough, Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak just had
    to say:

    > Styling scrollbars is IE-only trick and won't work in other browsers.

    Not entirely true. It /can/ work in Opera too, but as the user can (and
    often will) disable feature, it can't be relied on.

    Many folk would argue that the scroll bars are part of the browser and
    that one shouldn't fiddle with the styling, but this argument starts to
    get a little blurry when overflow:auto; scrolling divs etc start to
    enter the discussion :\

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Usenet: The first post is free, but the next will cost you your soul.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 20, 2005
  5. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > As if the love poetry wasn't enough, Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak just had
    > to say:
    >

    >>Styling scrollbars is IE-only trick and won't work in other browsers.

    > Not entirely true. It /can/ work in Opera too, but as the user can (and
    > often will) disable feature, it can't be relied on.

    http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=637

    As you can see, it looks quite opposite.
    It's IE's extension to CSS and as default it's disabled so coder can't
    rely on it.

    --
    Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak
    + pies rasy *jumnik*

    Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak, Nov 20, 2005
  6. kjs

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 20, 2005
  7. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=637
    >>
    >>As you can see, it looks quite opposite.
    >>It's IE's extension to CSS and as default it's disabled so coder can't
    >>rely on it.

    > Page is a little out of date. It's ON by default now.

    Ok. My fault.
    I just never use non-standard things, so I've never checked it myself.

    Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak, Nov 21, 2005
  8. kjs

    kjs Guest

    .. . . pretty nice trick -- especially on a dark background.

    -- from Google Group Archives of ciwah:

    Robert Norris
    Oct 25 2000, 12:00 am show options

    Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
    From: "Robert Norris" <> - Find
    messages by this author
    Date: 2000/10/25
    Subject: Re: How to change Scrollbar color ?
    original | Report Abuse

    Hi Cliff,

    You can change the color of the scroll bar using cascading style
    sheets.
    Here is an example for you:

    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
    BODY {
    margin: 0 0 0 0;
    padding: 0 0 0 0;
    scrollbar-face-color: #666666;
    scrollbar-highlight-color: #333333;
    scrollbar-shadow-color: #222222;
    scrollbar-3dlight-color: #888888;
    scrollbar-arrow-color: #ff0000;
    scrollbar-track-color: #222222;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #111111
    }
    </STYLE>

    Place that in your <head></head> tags and fiddle around.

    Hope this helps.

    Good luck,

    kjs, Nov 21, 2005
  9. kjs

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As if the love poetry wasn't enough, Toby Inkster just had to say:

    [Styling scroll bars]
    > Page is a little out of date. It's ON by default now.

    Which IMHO is not such a bad thing, although I do think that the option
    to disallow it for body{} styles but allow it for things like iframe and
    overflow:auto; would be a good thing.

    I think, but I am sure others will disagree, that whilst the browser
    window is part of the user's environment, and not something that I
    should fiddle with, the scroll bars within the page (not the one down
    the RHS[1]) are part of the page, and it would be nice to be able to
    style them to fit with the rest of a design if they are used at all.

    _____
    [1] Right-hand-side, not the flower people.

    Dylan Parry, Nov 21, 2005
  10. kjs

    TomB Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:

    > I think, but I am sure others will disagree, that whilst the browser
    > window is part of the user's environment, and not something that I
    > should fiddle with, the scroll bars within the page (not the one down
    > the RHS[1]) are part of the page, and it would be nice to be able to
    > style them to fit with the rest of a design if they are used at all.

    I totally agree with that. It wouldn't be a bad thing if w3c added it to
    the CSS specs. People who don't like it don't have to use it, and those
    who do like it finally can use valid styling code.

    --
    TomB - DrumScum
    tomb <-at-> versateladsl <-punt-> be

    TomB, Nov 21, 2005