Overflow: scroll scrollbar colors?

kjs

Is there any was to control the color of the scrollbars when using the
'overflow: scroll' attribute?

TIA,

Karl

kjs

I answered my own question by consulting c.i.w.a.h google group archives (an
Oct 25, 2000 posting from Robert Norris).

Cheers.

Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak

kjs napisa³(a):
I answered my own question by consulting c.i.w.a.h google group archives (an
Oct 25, 2000 posting from Robert Norris).

My advice is, that you better rely on much newer posts.
Styling scrollbars is IE-only trick and won't work in other browsers.

Dylan Parry

As if the love poetry wasn't enough, Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak just had
to say:
Styling scrollbars is IE-only trick and won't work in other browsers.

Not entirely true. It /can/ work in Opera too, but as the user can (and
often will) disable feature, it can't be relied on.

Many folk would argue that the scroll bars are part of the browser and
that one shouldn't fiddle with the styling, but this argument starts to
get a little blurry when overflow:auto; scrolling divs etc start to
enter the discussion :\

Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak

Toby said:
Janusz 'Kali' Kaliszczak wrote:

Page is a little out of date. It's ON by default now.

Ok. My fault.
I just never use non-standard things, so I've never checked it myself.

kjs

.. . . pretty nice trick -- especially on a dark background.

-- from Google Group Archives of ciwah:

Robert Norris
Oct 25 2000, 12:00 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
From: "Robert Norris" <[email protected]> - Find
messages by this author
Date: 2000/10/25
Subject: Re: How to change Scrollbar color ?
original | Report Abuse

Hi Cliff,

You can change the color of the scroll bar using cascading style
sheets.
Here is an example for you:

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
BODY {
margin: 0 0 0 0;
padding: 0 0 0 0;
scrollbar-face-color: #666666;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #333333;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #222222;
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #888888;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #ff0000;
scrollbar-track-color: #222222;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #111111
}
</STYLE>

Place that in your <head></head> tags and fiddle around.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

Dylan Parry

As if the love poetry wasn't enough, Toby Inkster just had to say:

[Styling scroll bars]
Page is a little out of date. It's ON by default now.

Which IMHO is not such a bad thing, although I do think that the option
to disallow it for body{} styles but allow it for things like iframe and
overflow:auto; would be a good thing.

I think, but I am sure others will disagree, that whilst the browser
window is part of the user's environment, and not something that I
should fiddle with, the scroll bars within the page (not the one down
the RHS[1]) are part of the page, and it would be nice to be able to
style them to fit with the rest of a design if they are used at all.

_____
[1] Right-hand-side, not the flower people.

TomB

Dylan said:
I think, but I am sure others will disagree, that whilst the browser
window is part of the user's environment, and not something that I
should fiddle with, the scroll bars within the page (not the one down
the RHS[1]) are part of the page, and it would be nice to be able to
style them to fit with the rest of a design if they are used at all.

I totally agree with that. It wouldn't be a bad thing if w3c added it to
the CSS specs. People who don't like it don't have to use it, and those
who do like it finally can use valid styling code.