OverflowError: regular expression code size limit exceeded

Discussion in 'Python' started by gdetre@princeton.edu, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Dear all,

    I'm trying to get a large, machine-generated regular expression (many
    thousands of characters) to work in Python on a Mac (running Leopard),
    and I keep banging my head against this brick wall:

    >>> update_implicit_link_regexp_temp()

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
    File "/Users/greg/elisp/freex/freex_sqlalchemy.py", line 715, in
    update_implicit_link_regexp_temp
    impLinkRegexp = re.compile(aliasRegexpStr,re.IGNORECASE|
    re.MULTILINE)
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
    python2.5/re.py", line 180, in compile
    return _compile(pattern, flags)
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
    python2.5/re.py", line 231, in _compile
    p = sre_compile.compile(pattern, flags)
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
    python2.5/sre_compile.py", line 530, in compile
    groupindex, indexgroup
    OverflowError: regular expression code size limit exceeded

    I have successfully run this regular expression many times under
    linux. I tried it first with the default python iinstallation on
    Leopard, 2.5.1, but I've also tried it with tthe latest .dmg i could
    find on the python.org site:

    Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 22 2008, 07:57:53)

    I'm really lost about how to proceed. Any ideas?

    Thank you,
    Greg

    , Apr 16, 2008