Overlap HTML with dropdown menu applet... how?

Joey Harris

Originally I thought this was only possible through Javascript, but a lot
of companies are selling "Applets" which allow dropdown menus to overlap
surrounding HTML when a menu or submenu is selected. They use the APPLET
CODE tag for the applet and parameters and absoloutely no Javascript or
DHTML code.

Does anyone know how this trick is attained using Java only!? How is it
possible for an applet to exceed its HTML placeholder's static width &
height such as the one below - and be able to display the menu on top of
the HTML below it or to the right of it, etc?

<APPLET CODE="menu.class" WIDTH=326 HEIGHT=240>

Thanks for any insight.

-JH

Tobias Schierge

Joey said:
Does anyone know how this trick is attained using Java only!?

I think the only possible way is to use java.awt.PopupMenu.

It looks like a normal Menu or Contextmenu but is not very customizable.

Regards,

Tobias

Tim Tyler

Joey Harris said:
Originally I thought this was only possible through Javascript, but a lot
of companies are selling "Applets" which allow dropdown menus to overlap
surrounding HTML when a menu or submenu is selected. They use the APPLET
CODE tag for the applet and parameters and absoloutely no Javascript or
DHTML code.

Does anyone know how this trick is attained using Java only!? How is it
possible for an applet to exceed its HTML placeholder's static width &
height such as the one below - and be able to display the menu on top of
the HTML below it or to the right of it, etc?

Applets may open java.awt.Window objects.

Do you have a sample site for us to look at?