overlaying - alternating images.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On my latest adventure I am using one background image as the main focal
    point.
    As you mouse over a link, a new image appears in the center of the original.
    The simple function I'm using swaps one "main" image with the new image.
    Rather than having an always obtrusive center image appear when mouse is not
    over a link, I've created a gif image that is totally transparent which
    gives the impression there is only one image instead of two.
    Kind of like laying a glass over a photo.
    Picture if you will, a large wheel, and within that wheel you have another
    wheel.

    First question is, can I do something that will allow me not to use a
    "clear" image over the original?

    Second question is, due to the nature of the images being displayed in an
    invisible square box, I am attempting to MAP out sections of the original
    image to act as links as well. Only problem is, the second image is
    destroying the area defined by the coordinates on the original image. Making
    the usable portion next to nothing and hard to locate the mouseover link.

    The source of the swapping routine is nothing more than a simple preloading
    array.
    The function simply determines which image is to be displayed based upon the
    number given which relates to the number in the array.

    Just curious to know what else I can try to simplify things the way I want
    them.
    I'll see about putting it up online in the morning.

    Richard, Oct 6, 2003