overloaded name + inheritance

jrraines

There is an arduino library for LCD displays called LiquidCrystal. At
present the class has the ability to handle either 4 or 8 data pins
and various forms of testing the LCD's busy flag. The initial part of
the declaration looks like this:
class LiquidCrystal : public Print {
public:
LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t enable,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3,
uint8_t d4, uint8_t d5, uint8_t d6, uint8_t d7);

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t rw, uint8_t enable,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3,
uint8_t d4, uint8_t d5, uint8_t d6, uint8_t d7);

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t rw, uint8_t enable,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3);

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t rw, uint8_t enable, uint8_t en2,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3); //4x40 LCD w
2x HD44780 controller chips, 2 enable lines to select between them 4
data pins

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t rw, uint8_t enable, uint8_t en2,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3, void (*userFunc)
(int8_t chip) ); //4x40 LCD w 2x HD44780 controller chips, 2 enable
lines to select between them 4 data pins

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t enable,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3);

LiquidCrystal(uint8_t rs, uint8_t enable,
uint8_t d0, uint8_t d1, uint8_t d2, uint8_t d3 , void (*userFunc)
(int8_t chip));

The overloaded versions here imply that either 4 or 8 data pins will
be used and all but one implies the specific form of the busy flag
test. Presently each user gets object code that includes both 4 and 8
bit capability and all versions of the busy test. It strikes me that I
could refactor this with a protoclass that would include the common
elements, then create new protoclasses that would handle either 4 or 8
bits and finally create 7 classes that included just the appropriate
busy test and code for 4 or 8 pins. I think each user would save
several hundred bytes by eliminating the unnecessary portions of code.
Some flags and flag testing would also vanish. On a little 8 bit
Arduino, that is a significant benefit. The piece that I'm struggling
with is whether it is possible to do this without changing the
apparent API--can I have 7 versions that have the same overloaded name
and have each of them inherit differently?

Michael Tsang

[...]

You are showing the constructors only. Constructors cannot be inherited.
(although you can explicitly inherit them by a using declaration in C++0x)