overloading non-template member functions with template member functions

Discussion in 'C++' started by Hicham Mouline, Apr 23, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    I have this code
    http://codepad.org/CDOFhSqZ

    I have a non templated member function GetSpot(tType) const
    and a templated one.

    Besides, argument 2 and 3 of the templated have default arguments.

    Users of this class call either

    class.GetSpot( 10. );

    or

    class.GetSpot<Linear, Polynomial>( 15. ); // case 2

    or

    class.GetSpot<Linear, Linear>( 15., Linear(5), Linear(7) );

    These actual calls happen in 1 translation unit and so the member functions
    are instantiated.

    Question 1 : Is this valid C++03?
    Question 2 : I would like opinions about the style
    Question 3 : with vs2005 debugger, arg2 and arg3 in case 2 are not
    constructed properly sometimes.

    Question 4: would removing the non templated member, and setting default
    template args for Interp and Extrap
    be possible with at the same time having default formal args 2 and 3.
    Would this then be a better style?

    PS: typename boost::call_traits<Interp>::param_type is simply
    const Interp&
    in this case

    regards,
    Hicham Mouline, Apr 23, 2009