Overloading scope

wpiman

Hi,
I have a few procedures in my main thread that I overload in scope.
This allows them to have much shorter calls in the various tests. This
works great, but recently I added some access types to my procedures
and now I can't get the compiler (Modelsim) to recognize the functions.
Ex.

PROCEDURE sendSerialMessage IS
BEGIN
sendSerialMessage(clk=> t_XMIT_CLK,
headPointer => headPointer,
dest=> dest,
parityValid => parityValid);
END sendSerialMessage;

headPointer is a shared variable that is an access type declared in a
separate package. I can make the call in my main thread- but the error
seems to only pop up when I try to overload the scope. It happens in
another procedure that I try to overload too. I tried using a local
variable and I get the same issue. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Mike Scott

Mike Treseler

I have a few procedures in my main thread that I overload in scope.
This allows them to have much shorter calls in the various tests.

This is a good idea when using packaged procedures.

An alternative is to declare the test procedures in a
single test process to eliminate the need for
most of the parameter passing.
For example, see the main process in the testbench here:
http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/
This
works great, but recently I added some access types to my procedures
and now I can't get the compiler (Modelsim) to recognize the functions.

I don't see any functions.

PROCEDURE sendSerialMessage IS
BEGIN
sendSerialMessage(clk=> t_XMIT_CLK,
headPointer => headPointer,
dest=> dest,
parityValid => parityValid);
END sendSerialMessage;

headPointer is a shared variable that is an access type declared in a
separate package.

Why do you need to pass a shared variable as a parameter?
Is it not in scope anyway?
I can make the call in my main thread- but the error
seems to only pop up when I try to overload the scope.

I wonder what the error message is?
Are you properly dereferencing the pointer?
It happens in
another procedure that I try to overload too. I tried using a local
variable and I get the same issue. Anyone else seen this?

I'm not sure what you are seeing.
Can you make a simple example demonstrating the problem?

-- Mike Treseler