    Thanks,
    Mike Scott

    , Mar 27, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I have a few procedures in my main thread that I overload in scope.
    > This allows them to have much shorter calls in the various tests.

    This is a good idea when using packaged procedures.

    An alternative is to declare the test procedures in a
    single test process to eliminate the need for
    most of the parameter passing.
    For example, see the main process in the testbench here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/

    > This
    > works great, but recently I added some access types to my procedures
    > and now I can't get the compiler (Modelsim) to recognize the functions.

    I don't see any functions.

    > PROCEDURE sendSerialMessage IS
    > BEGIN
    > sendSerialMessage(clk=> t_XMIT_CLK,
    > headPointer => headPointer,
    > dest=> dest,
    > parityValid => parityValid);
    > END sendSerialMessage;
    >
    > headPointer is a shared variable that is an access type declared in a
    > separate package.

    Why do you need to pass a shared variable as a parameter?
    Is it not in scope anyway?

    > I can make the call in my main thread- but the error
    > seems to only pop up when I try to overload the scope.

    I wonder what the error message is?
    Are you properly dereferencing the pointer?

    > It happens in
    > another procedure that I try to overload too. I tried using a local
    > variable and I get the same issue. Anyone else seen this?

    I'm not sure what you are seeing.
    Can you make a simple example demonstrating the problem?

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Mar 27, 2006