    a similar problem exists for datetime.

    Is there anyway to overload how the inbuilt web service services interprets
    primitive types?
    brian.mills, Nov 17, 2004

  2. brian.mills

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Brian,

    Unfortunately what is coming over on the wire is a invalid value for a
    value type of type boolean. Without some added behaviors in your code, you
    will not get the results you are looking for. If a <att nill=true/> were
    being received, or if the field were omitted totally, you could probably
    just attribute a default into the class that you are deserializing into,
    but an empty field will not be perceived as nill (*nills on value types are
    a different interoperability problem at the moment besides)

    First I'd confirm that this bug is not possible to address on the sender's
    side. That example of a "false" is definitely not intuitive, nor XML
    compliant for a boolean value set. The easiest way to support your
    position is to validate the data returned as XML against the schema for the
    return. If the return type expected is a boolean, the empty value will
    fail validation - and so as a caller you have a solid basis for calling
    this a bug.

    If you don't have the leverage to get this bug fixed, you probably will
    need to intercept the data being returned, check for known problems and fix
    the XML before it is sent to the deserialization step. The simplest way I
    know to do this is to create a custom Web Service Extension that modifies
    the incoming XML when the right conditions are met.

    I hope this helps,

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?YnJpYW4ubWlsbHM=?="

    <>
    >Subject: Overloading SOAP Interpretations for Specific Primitive Types
    >Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:34:03 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    >I have a 3rd party web service that is returning non standard primitive
    >types. IE. instead of returning <att>false</att>, its returning

    <att></att>.

    Dan Rogers, Nov 18, 2004