    private address, making the service unusable. Is there any way to override
    the soap:address generated by the web service or other way round this?
    Thanks
    MP, Dec 6, 2006

  2. "MP" <> wrote in message
    news:4576ac6f$0$27105$...
    > Hi all,
    > I have a problem with my web service: when installed to certain servers
    > (e.g. load balanced) the URL specified in soap:address gets changed to a
    > private address, making the service unusable. Is there any way to override
    > the soap:address generated by the web service or other way round this?

    Consider how the address is being used. It's simply used as the default URL
    for the web service in the client. If you set the Web Reference to Dynamic,
    you will be able to set the URL in the application config file.

    You can also set the URL at runtime by setting the Url property of the
    proxy.

    John
    John Saunders, Dec 6, 2006

  3. "MP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi John,
    > thanks for the reply.
    > Unfortunately your suggestion doesn't apply to my situation.
    > I try to explain it better:
    > my web service receives calls from a non-.NET application, so I have no
    > proxy.
    > When I try to retrieve the WSDL from the browser using for instance an URL
    > like this:
    > https://mysite.com/....?WSDL
    > the downloaded WSDL contains a <soap:address> like this:
    > http://mysite.com:81/...?WSDL
    > and I think this is why the client gets a misleading error message "xml
    > document must have a top level node".
    > This is why I'm looking for something that allows me to control that URL
    > in the WSDL (or to any other workaround).

    I'm afraid I have no suggestions. I use hand-written WSDLs, so I would never
    have seen the problem.

    I wonder if the ?WSDL at the end is normal, though. I think that the
    <soap:address> is meant to be the address of the service, not of the WSDL.

    John
    John Saunders, Dec 7, 2006