Overriding renderBeginTag is bad?

TS

If i have a control that inherits from a class in Webcontrols (ie textbox)
and then overrides RenderBeginTag, isn't this not recommended since the
UI/Browser specific web attributes won't get set by framework? I always read
that you should override renderContents instead of the combination of
renderBeginTag, Render, RenderEndTag for this reason.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

thanks!

TS

I guess maybe if you call the base implementation inside the render methods,
these UI/browser attributes would get set and no issues would be seen?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi TS,

I think this will depend on what's the design objective of your control.
The default implementation of RenderBeginTag will render the control's open
tag. If you need to completely control how the resulting HTML, feel free to
override it.

Please feel free to let me know your detailed requirement of the control so
that we can further discuss it. Thanks.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

TS

well my point is that i am just curious whether UI/Browser specific web
attributes won't get set by framework in this implementation

TS

can you confirm this statement in my last post?

TS said:
well my point is that i am just curious whether UI/Browser specific web
attributes won't get set by framework in this implementation

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi TS,

Sorry for the delay.

Based on my understanding, your question is actually about how ASP.NET
renders differently for different browser/device.

If you take a look at the WebControl.RenderBeginTag using Reflector
(http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/), you will see it's calling into the
HtmlTextWriter.RenderBeginTag to do the rendering. The default
HtmlTextWriter renders HTML 4.0-compliant markup; and the Html32TextWriter,
which renders HTML 3.2-compliant markup. (The Html32TextWriter class is
derived from the HtmlTextWriter class)

When the Page class enters its render stage, it starts by creating a new
HtmlTextWriter instance. It determines what class instance to create -
HtmlTextWriter or Html32TextWriter - by inspecting the TagWriter property
of the Browser object. The Browser object contains read-only properties
that provides information about the browser that was used to request the
page. A web browser is identified by its User-Agent string.

Whenever a Web browser requests a page, it sends along a User-Agent string
in the HTTP headers that is used to identify the browser. The ASP.NET
engine examines the User-Agent string to determine the value for the
Browser's properties.

Therefore for your original question about overriding
WebControl.RenderBeginTag, as long as you're using the HtmlTextWriter
reference to output the text, it should still be adaptive for different
browser/device.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if there's anything
unclear. Thanks.