    I'm using VB to create a DLL and am having trouble unloading it so I can
    rebuild it while testing... I think I used to kill a process to unload it
    before but there must be a better way..

    Qwip, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Qwip

    Atrax Guest

    Atrax, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Qwip

    Qwip Guest

    Thanks to the both of you. It turned out I needed to reboot the server to
    get my DLL to unload for some reason. This stopping/starting IIS during
    development really sucks.. guess it's time I started brushing up on my dot
    net.

    Qwip, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Qwip

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Qwip wrote:
    > Thanks to the both of you. It turned out I needed to reboot the
    > server to get my DLL to unload for some reason.

    You may have to run the application in its own memory space to avoid this.

    > This
    > stopping/starting IIS during development really sucks..

    That's the main reason I stopped using VB dll's. The other reason was the
    impact on performance. But i would have lived with the performance hit if it
    was easier to replace the dll.

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Qwip

    Phill. W Guest

    "Qwip" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using VB to create a DLL and am having trouble unloading it
    > so I can rebuild it while testing... I think I used to kill a process to
    > unload it before but there must be a better way..

    You have to convince IIS to let go of the DLL - on a remote
    machine, that's Unloading the application, or Restarting IIS, or
    occasionally Rebooting the box, preferably in that order.

    If you're debugging on the /same/ machine, start the DLL project
    in the VB IDE, then load the web page and - all being well - VB
    should catch the calls to the DLL; you can set breakpoints in your
    code and everything... :)

    HTH,
    Phill W.

    Phill. W, Oct 13, 2003