Overwrite DLL?

Qwip

I'm using VB to create a DLL and am having trouble unloading it so I can
rebuild it while testing... I think I used to kill a process to unload it
before but there must be a better way..

Qwip

Thanks to the both of you. It turned out I needed to reboot the server to
get my DLL to unload for some reason. This stopping/starting IIS during
development really sucks.. guess it's time I started brushing up on my dot
net.

Bob Barrows

Qwip said:
Thanks to the both of you. It turned out I needed to reboot the
server to get my DLL to unload for some reason.

You may have to run the application in its own memory space to avoid this.
This
stopping/starting IIS during development really sucks..

That's the main reason I stopped using VB dll's. The other reason was the
impact on performance. But i would have lived with the performance hit if it
was easier to replace the dll.

Bob Barrows

Phill. W

Qwip said:
I'm using VB to create a DLL and am having trouble unloading it
so I can rebuild it while testing... I think I used to kill a process to
unload it before but there must be a better way..

You have to convince IIS to let go of the DLL - on a remote
machine, that's Unloading the application, or Restarting IIS, or
occasionally Rebooting the box, preferably in that order.

If you're debugging on the /same/ machine, start the DLL project
in the VB IDE, then load the web page and - all being well - VB
should catch the calls to the DLL; you can set breakpoints in your
code and everything... :)

HTH,
Phill W.