    effective way to automate this?

    TIA

    MC

    mc, Sep 20, 2007

  2. mc

    Just Me Guest

    Cant you just exclude it from the project.

    Just Me, Sep 20, 2007

  3. mc

    mc Guest

    Just Me wrote:
    > Cant you just exclude it from the project.
    >
    > "mc" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've developed a website with which users can update XML files in it's
    >>App_Data directory. Currently when I want to update the live site I have
    >>to take a copy of the app_Data directory on the server and reinstate it
    >>after publishing the new content. does anyone have any suggestions for the
    >>most effective way to automate this?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    >>MC

    Thanks for the sugestion However, You can't exclude a directory, so you would need to exclude each
    file in the App_Data directory.

    I would need to do this before each publish as I still need access to these files whilst debugging
    locally.

    Next Idea! :)

    Regards

    MC

    mc, Sep 20, 2007
  4. Mark Rae [MVP], Sep 20, 2007
  5. mc

    Just Me Guest

    ;-)

    Just Me, Sep 20, 2007
  6. mc

    mc Guest

    I'm using "Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers" and when I right click on a
    Directory in "Solution Explorer" (which I assume is the same as Project Explorer?) I don't get the
    option to "Exclude from Project". I Do have an "Exclude from project" option for the files just not
    directories.

    Publish was just nice and easy as I've no knead for FTP as I write files directly to a network
    share on the web server.

    I will now have a look at Web Deployment Projects!

    mc, Sep 20, 2007
  7. mc

    mc Guest

    Looks like the "Remove the App_Data folder from output location" Checkbox does exactly what I need!

    Thanks for the tip!

    Incidentally since I installed the Web Deployment Projects msi I get an error when I start VS,
    "Package Load Failure" for "Microsoft.Workflow.VSDesigner.DesignerPackage". However, as I'm not
    using that at the moment I shall ignore this!

    Regards

    MC

    >>> http://www.markrae.net

    mc, Sep 20, 2007