Overwriting viewstate

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nemisis, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Nemisis

    Nemisis Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I have 2 pages, PageA and PageB. On PageA i allow our users to update
    a details of a record using textboxes, dropdownlists etc. When a user
    clicks on a button on PageA, i would like them to be directed to PageB.
    Here they can select a value from a datagrid, and then go back to PageA
    and continue updating the records details.

    The value that the user selects on PageB, must be passed back to PageA.

    In order to accomplish this sort of functionality, i thought that i
    would have to somehow save the viewstate of PageA, and then after the
    user has picked a value on PageB, i would direct them back to pageA and
    reload the saved viewstate.

    is this possible??

    Is there an easier solution to what i am trying to do?

    I CANNOT use Ajax, as this is for a Pda website, so javascript is very
    limited, thus why i am having to go to another page to select a value.

    Thanks in advance.

    Nemisis, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Nemisis

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Nemisis" <> wrote in message

    > Is there an easier solution to what i am trying to do?

    I guess that depends on the particular PDA... Does its browser e.g. support
    cookies...?

    > I CANNOT use Ajax, as this is for a Pda website, so javascript is very
    > limited, thus why i am having to go to another page to select a value.

    How limited is 'limited'...? I've got round similar problems by opening a
    second window and then updating the first window through the second window's
    window.opener property:
    http://www.webreference.com/js/tutorial1/opener.html

    Mark Rae, Jan 24, 2007

  3. Nemisis

    bruce barker Guest

    viewstate is a hidden field rendered on the page. you can not pass it
    with a redirect. look a using server transfer instead.

    note: pda a memory constrained, and you should avoid making viewstate
    large. a datagrid may be sending megabytes of viewstate. for pdas you
    should try to use session instead of viewstate.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 24, 2007