OWL and ontologies

Discussion in 'XML' started by David Allen, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. David Allen

    David Allen Guest

    I've been recently reading up on OWL and some of the topics related to
    the Semantic Web. It seems though that while OWL became an official
    recommendation a while back, there isn't much use of it outside of the
    research world. (i.e. sample implementation reasoners, parsers, etc
    but no higher level apps built on the underlying facilities OWL might
    provide)

    As I read the recommendation on OWL, a lot of its structure seemed like
    Prolog and normal propositional logic, with extra extensions for the
    notions of object-orientation and classes, wrapped up in XML. I
    haven't seen any references to this other material though, so I'm left
    to believe that either it doesn't apply (and hence pointers to
    resources on learning that material wouldn't be helpful, because there
    wouldn't be any carry-over) or the community just hasn't built itself
    yet.

    One thought that crossed my mind was that it might be unrealistic for
    web publishers to publish ontologies related to their subject material
    when they don't even know what an ontology is, how to use it, or how to
    write one. Meanwhile, visions of "the semantic web" dance in our
    heads. (Oh yeah, and sugarplums as well)

    Searching this group has yielded only a few messages on OWL - am I in
    the wrong place (there doesn't seem to be a group devoted to OWL) or I
    am just noticing the conspicuous chirping of crickets?
    Is there any moving and/or shaking going on in the world of OWL?

    David Allen, Dec 10, 2004

  2. "David Allen" <> wrote in message
    > I've been recently reading up on OWL and some of the topics related to
    > the Semantic Web. It seems though that while OWL became an official
    > recommendation a while back, there isn't much use of it outside of the
    >--snip--<

    Hi there David,

    I'm expecting to be shot down in flames right about now but OWL doesn't seem
    to be getting the airing it really requires in order to take off. But the
    same could be said of most of the Semantic Web stuff that was going to make
    the internet so much more useful... I still use google and that's about it
    really... perhaps that's only me?

    The people over at Stanford working on the Protégé Project do loads on OWL
    and have a separate mailing list at
    <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.owl> dedicated to
    that aspect of ontologies which you can subscribe to, perhaps that's where
    you'd be better off looking for specific stuff?

    I had a little crack at using ontologies myself
    (<http://camshag.co.uk/svg/NHSTrust/index.html>) and I found that they can
    be useful in combination with javascript.

    Hope that helps and I hope you find what you're looking for,

    Cheers,

    Dom

    Dominic Myers, Dec 11, 2004

  3. David Allen

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 10 Dec 2004 12:32:15 -0800, "David Allen" <> wrote:

    >I've been recently reading up on OWL and some of the topics related to
    >the Semantic Web.

    You're not the only one, but sometimes it does feel that way.

    I second the recommendation for Protege. I was at their user group
    meeting last year in Manchester and was really blown away by the
    quality and variety of the work that was already happening - now a
    couple of years ago! Another eye-opener was speaking at the
    excellent "Museums and the Web" conference, or rather _listening_ at
    it (unlike the (in)famous keynote speaker who made an ass of himself),
    and finding just how far ahead of "the web industry" the museum and
    library people already were.

    This stuff _is_ happening. It's just not very visible yet.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Dec 15, 2004