[OWL] expressing relationships

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rob Heersma, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. Rob Heersma

    Rob Heersma Guest

    Currently I am developing a family ontology in OWL. I describe an
    atomclass human with subclasses man and woman. These have
    objectproperties like father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister,
    husband, and wife. These are primitive relations between two humans.

    From these atoms I can define objectproperties like
    parent = union(father, mother)
    child = union(son, daughter), inverse of parent
    spouse = union(husband, wife)

    Next I would like to define relations like uncle, aunt, grand, cousin
    uncle = parent.brother
    aunt = parent.sister
    sibling = parent.child
    cousin = parent.sibling.child
    grandfather = parent.father
    grandmother = parent.mother

    I am quit unsure whether all these thought are possible to expres
    within OWL.

    Rob Heersma, Jun 15, 2004