P~ 0.9 released, new Java-friendly scripting with novel regex

Discussion in 'Java' started by ptilderegex, Feb 27, 2008.

  1. ptilderegex

    ptilderegex Guest

    P~ (pronounced "ptilde") is a new Java friendly scripting language.
    The principle reason for creating it was to offer a new and more
    powerful approach to creating regular expressions. Unlike all other
    regex engines, P~ does not use the Perl-compatible metacharacter
    syntax, instead using algebraic syntax for regex composition. This
    decision opens the door to more powerful side-effects than even
    possible in Perl, but preserving the readability and maintainability
    of P~ regexes. In other regex engines, your regular expressions become
    hard to read as the difficulty of the problem increases. Not so in P~.

    While P~ makes it easy to grapple with matching and transformation
    problems that are hard for even Perl programmers, its basic grammar is
    Java-like, more so than even Groovy. This means that Java programmers
    can quickly learn the basic grammar forms.

    P~ is also Java friendly because you can import Java classes within
    your scripts, and use their public apis just like in your Java code.
    All you have to do is make sure that when you launch the Ptilde
    scripting application, you include the appropriate Java libraries (jar
    files) in the classpath.

    Finally, P~ is Java friendly because its engine is a Java library.
    Thus, if a Java programmer has a tough matching or transformation
    problem, solve it first with a P~ script, using the standalone
    application shell and the novel P~ regex grammars; then make this
    script available to your Java application as either a file or a
    resource, and easily invoke it from your Java class. You are allowed
    to pass arguments and return a result from a scriptlet!

    If this sounds interesting, take a look at the home page for the
    documentation, which is found at http://www.ptilde.com. Start with the
    Tutorial which will guide you through first the basic grammar of
    Ptilde and then through the regex grammar forms.

    ptilderegex, Feb 27, 2008

  2. ptilderegex

    Pushkaraj Guest

    On Feb 27, 6:44 pm, ptilderegex <> wrote:
    > P~ (pronounced "ptilde") is a new Java friendly scripting language.
    > The principle reason for creating it was to offer a new and more
    > powerful approach to creating regular expressions. Unlike all other
    > regex engines, P~ does not use the Perl-compatible metacharacter
    > syntax, instead using algebraic syntax for regex composition. This
    > decision opens the door to more powerful side-effects than even
    > possible in Perl, but preserving the readability and maintainability
    > of P~ regexes. In other regex engines, your regular expressions become
    > hard to read as the difficulty of the problem increases. Not so in P~.
    >
    > While P~ makes it easy to grapple with matching and transformation
    > problems that are hard for even Perl programmers, its basic grammar is
    > Java-like, more so than even Groovy. This means that Java programmers
    > can quickly learn the basic grammar forms.
    >
    > P~ is also Java friendly because you can import Java classes within
    > your scripts, and use their public apis just like in your Java code.
    > All you have to do is make sure that when you launch the Ptilde
    > scripting application, you include the appropriate Java libraries (jar
    > files) in the classpath.
    >
    > Finally, P~ is Java friendly because its engine is a Java library.
    > Thus, if a Java programmer has a tough matching or transformation
    > problem, solve it first with a P~ script, using the standalone
    > application shell and the novel P~ regex grammars; then make this
    > script available to your Java application as either a file or a
    > resource, and easily invoke it from your Java class. You are allowed
    > to pass arguments and return a result from a scriptlet!
    >
    > If this sounds interesting, take a look at the home page for the
    > documentation, which is found athttp://www.ptilde.com. Start with the
    > Tutorial which will guide you through first the basic grammar of
    > Ptilde and then through the regex grammar forms.

    I feel perl satisfies the day-today regex. needs, for the additional
    java support we should add somthing in perl say a module etc.

    Pushkaraj, Feb 28, 2008

  3. ptilderegex

    Guest

    > I feel perl satisfies the day-today regex. needs, for the additional
    > java support we should add somthing in perl say a module etc.

    P~ has more powerful forms of regex, in particular, side-effects,
    polymorphic regular expressions, and boolean forms. But relative to
    the Java programmer, it allows you an in-process solution to hard
    matching problems, because it is offered as a Java library. Also, a
    plus is that the grammar is very Java like, and Ptilde regexes are
    easy to read than any of the meta-character based regex languages.

    Andy

    , Feb 29, 2008