Butch61

Hello all.

Just a quick question.

I've got a <p> inside a <div>.
I've got margins set and absolute placement for the <div>.

I was under the impression that the <p> content would have to inherit
the format of the <div> in which it resides.
It does not.

The <p> text flows outside the margins I set for the <div>.
When I remove the <p> tags from the text, the text stays inside the
When I put the <p> back in, with no specific style to the <p>, the
text again flows outside the <div> margins.

What is it that I don't understand?

Is html and making this all work in all common browsers as much of a
pain in the ass as I think it is?

Thanks.
Butch

dorayme

Butch61 said:
Hello all.

Just a quick question.

I've got a <p> inside a <div>.
I've got margins set and absolute placement for the <div>.

I was under the impression that the <p> content would have to inherit
the format of the <div> in which it resides.
It does not.

The <p> text flows outside the margins I set for the <div>.
When I remove the <p> tags from the text, the text stays inside the
When I put the <p> back in, with no specific style to the <p>, the
text again flows outside the <div> margins.

What is it that I don't understand?

That what is inherited and what is not, is not a simple matter like
this.
Is html and making this all work in all common browsers as much of a
pain in the ass as I think it is?

Yes. But there is nothing easier on it.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Butch61
Hello all.

Just a quick question.

I've got a <p> inside a <div>.
I've got margins set and absolute placement for the <div>.

I was under the impression that the <p> content would have to inherit
the format of the <div> in which it resides.
It does not.

The <p> text flows outside the margins I set for the <div>.
When I remove the <p> tags from the text, the text stays inside the
When I put the <p> back in, with no specific style to the <p>, the
text again flows outside the <div> margins.

What is it that I don't understand?

Is html and making this all work in all common browsers as much of a
pain in the ass as I think it is?

Thanks.
Butch

A URL would be helpful.

Butch61

A URL would be helpful.

www.hotlinecomputing.com/wsls/index.html

Click on the "design your day" heart.
The paragraph that has "In order to..." is just text in the <div>.
The paragraph that has "If you have any questions..." is in a <p> with
no formatting.

The css for the <div class=introcenter> is
div.introcenter
{
position: absolute;
left: 40px;
top: 80px;
width: 90%;
font-size: small
}

Why wouldn't that css code be inherited by everything inside the <div>
that doesn't have inline formatting?

Thanks much
Butch

Butch61

OK. I'll try to cover all responses.

I am viewing this and having this problem in ie6.
I'm trying to make it work in FF, ie7 and ie6.
I'm still kinda new to this web design biz so there's lots I don't
know.
I think, from what I heard, that ie6 is still used a lot and, thus,
must be taken into consideration.

By inheritance I meant that I wanted the <p> to inherit the margin of
the <div>

Hmm. Margin >0. That's new. I'll try that.

I will reconsider the absolute positioning of the div.

I've messed with dynamic or fluid layouts in the past but didn't
realize how important it was until I viewed this site in a browser on
a different pc than the one on which I designed it. It was entirely
static then.
Now it's waaaay more dynamic and getting better all the time.
Thanks to all of you, it will be better still.

Butch

Travis Newbury

Is html and making this all work in all common browsers as much of a
pain in the ass as I think it is?

Actually the pain in the ass part comes when you try to make things
interesting. If your site is nothing more than some text and some
images, then making it a flexible width site is childs play. Start
getting fancy because you want the users to have something different,
then it gets a little trickier.

How about including a URL so we can look at what you are talking
about?

Travis Newbury

You did this for free right? I mean no one actually paid you for this
website did they? Sorry if that sounds blunt, but the page sucks. It
has no redeeming value at all. If I were looking for a limo service
and went to a page that looked anything like this I would immediately
leave the site. Why do people buy Hunt's ketchup when generic is just
as good (and cheaper)? Because Hunt's appeals to you through
marketing. The webpage is marketing for this limo service. Your goal
is to make the visitor want the service, NOT scare them away.

Go to Google. Search for "web templates" Don't worry if the
templates code sucks or not, you are not interested in their (usually
crappy) code. You need to look at the designs. THEN after you have
some sense of what you might want this to look like, take their
design and make it your own. Clean up the code, change images,
colors, make it flexible, what ever floats your boat. But don't
pollute the web with shit like this site.

Sure this post sounds mean, but 2 years from now you will be thanking
me.

Butch61

...But don't pollute the web with shit like this site.

Well that was diplomatic.
Methinks your bedside manner needs a little work;
nay, it needs a fucking OVERHAUL!

Trust me, I LIVE for the day that I'm as good at this as you are!

I don't understand people who can't give advice without throwing
barbs.

What the hell business is it of yours whether I got paid or not?

I do believe I said in an earlier post that I am relatively new to
this.
That should indicate that my current output isn't going to be the
standard of the industry.
I know that Hunt's, or anyone else with that kind of budget, isn't
going to be beating down my doors for me to build their site.
I can live with that.

But it's certainly not your job to tell me that; or is it?
Perhaps you a member of the Website Layout Aesthetics Police
Department (WLAPD)?

Lighten up Dude!

Travis Newbury

Well that was diplomatic.
Methinks your bedside manner needs a little work;
nay, it needs a fucking OVERHAUL!

See you just haven't been around long enough. I on very rare
occasions get a bit blunt. But there is never any malice in what I
say. I state my opinion, you are free to do with it what you want.
Trust me, I LIVE for the day that I'm as good at this as you are!

Probably already are as good you just don't realize it. It's not like
this stuff is rocket sience.

Here is what you need to do. Look at the site you are creating, then
do a google search for "wedding Limos" and look at the websites.
Hell, skip the flash ones if you don't like that kind of thing. Take
a look at the sites and see what is different from yours. In most
cases you can disregard any code they use because my guess is none of
them validate, but that's not what your looking at. Your looking at
what makes them better than a pink, white, and uglier pink site with a
few images (I'm describing your site).

Why are these sites better than yours? Not just the look, but also
the way the site works. Look at the competition, see what they are
doing, see what they look like, then use them as a guide. That's how
you get better. Not worrying about a said:
I don't understand people who can't give advice without throwing
barbs.

Barbs or honesty? If there were malice and I called you a dumb ass,
then that would be throwing barbs. I just told you the facts. And
now I even provided you with a solution.
What the hell business is it of yours whether I got paid or not?

because if you got paid then you did a disservice to the customer.
I do believe I said in an earlier post that I am relatively new to
this.
That should indicate that my current output isn't going to be the
standard of the industry.

Why not? did you even look at the competition's websites? Or did you
close your eyes and come up with the design? You admit you are new,
you admit you are not good at this, then go learn from the people that
are creating sites EXACTLY like you want to create. Learn the look
and feel from them, learn the code from here.
I know that Hunt's, or anyone else with that kind of budget, isn't
going to be beating down my doors for me to build their site.
I can live with that.

You missed the point of the analogy, but it doesn't matter as I stated
the point in this post.

But it's certainly not your job to tell me that; or is it?

You presented your page to the group when it offered your URL. You
will receive various comments from people in the group. You are free
to use what you want, and discard what you want of the answers, but
you can not tell me I can not reply. (well you could tell me, but it
wouldn't mean squat)
Perhaps you a member of the Website Layout Aesthetics Police
Department (WLAPD)?

No, I am a web user and letting you know what I think about your
site. You may not like what I say, but you know it is the truth.
Lighten up Dude!

Nothing to lighten up from, I wasn't being mean or hurtful at all. I
was being honest, blunt, but honest. Now, go hit up google and start
getting better. Then blow us away in 2 weeks with a freaking awesome
site. (Then ask for more money)

I am expecting another URL in 2 weeks from you.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
If I were looking for a limo service
and went to a page that looked anything like this I would immediately
leave the site.

Sure you would, even if the price was right and it was conveniently
local. Sure you would Travis! The design of the site is sooooooo
important. Perhaps this group here has sent you mad?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Butch61 said:
But it's certainly not your job to tell me that; or is it?
Perhaps you a member of the Website Layout Aesthetics Police
Department (WLAPD)?

Perhaps a warrant for your arrest *is* in order!

http://tekrider.net/usenet/hotline.jpg

2 to 5 for second degree felonious assault on a browser!

BTW, "center-justified" text is extremely annoying, and hard to read.
The eye has to hunt for the beginning of the next line, and it is a sure
sign of amateurism.

Travis Newbury

Sure you would, even if the price was right and it was conveniently
local.

Sorry dorayme, I would have never seen what they sold or where they
were located. As soon as the site opened, I would be pressing the
back key to get me back to google.
Sure you would Travis! The design of the site is sooooooo
important.

If you put Dom Pérignon in a urinalysis jar, a lot of people will pass
it up too.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Sorry dorayme, I would have never seen what they sold or where they
were located. As soon as the site opened, I would be pressing the
back key to get me back to google.

Sure? You would not take a little peepsi weepsi at a bargain and really
suitable car hire for you? Just a quick little glancy wancy?

(I wonder if Bergamot would regard this as florid writing or just
puke-inducing?)

If you put Dom Pérignon in a urinalysis jar, a lot of people will pass
it up too.

And, of course, the cases are so similar.

Butch61

But there is never any malice in what I
say. I state my opinion, you are free to do with it what you want.

Sorry Sir. You don't get off that easily.
When you call somebody's work "shit" it's offensive no matter how you
spin it.
And yeah, I took offense.

Why are these sites better than yours? Not just the look, but also
the way the site works. Look at the competition, see what they are
doing, see what they look like, then use them as a guide. That's how
you get better. Not worrying about a <p>

Actually, I DID check out the competition!
And my boss and I came up with this design.
Sorry but I don't have a real creative visual eye for graphic design.
And, frankly I kinda like some of the stuff we came up with.
The boss has been getting good response for 2 years from the site we
originally designed which, in our opinion, isn't as good as this one.
Suffice to say, you aren't a bride in need of a limo service for your
wedding so you don't know what they want.

And you must have been doing this long enough that you've lost sight
of how hard it really is.
I know html and css relatively well, and it's a BITCH trying to make
it work in a variety of browsers.
Barbs or honesty? If there were malice and I called you a dumb ass,
then that would be throwing barbs. I just told you the facts.

No you didn't. My website being "shit" is NOT a fact. It's your
opinion.
Again, you can't spin it any other way.
And now I even provided you with a solution.

You provided a solution in your original post and good advice it was.
If you'd have offered that advice without the editorial comments we
wouldn't be having this conversation.
I am expecting another URL in 2 weeks from you.

A worthy challenge.
Unfortunately I'm buried up to my ass in work above and beyond this
site.
I will do my best with it and as long as the customer is happy, that's
all I will worry about.

Without a doubt I'm smart enough to know that if I can please harsh,
in-the-know critics like you, my work will be far better. But I also
know that average people don't scrutinize these things as hard as you
do and will be happy with much less.
Yes, I aspire to satisfy the former, but will settle for the latter
until then.

Thanks for your advice, and, perhaps you should try to sugar-coat it
in the future so as not to offend sensitive folks like me.
:>)

And thanks to everyone else that offered advice.
I will use it all as best I can.

Travis Newbury

Sorry Sir. You don't get off that easily.
When you call somebody's work "shit" it's offensive no matter how you
spin it.
And yeah, I took offense.

If you took offense then then you either need a thicker skin, or you
should just leave now because Usenet is not known for it's politeness
and you are bound to be offended again. Tell me, if you had a
boogger hanging on the side of your nose would you you rather me let
you walk around in public with the boogger on your nose, or would you
rather I tell you about the booger so you can fix it. Well consider
this me telling you that your site has a booger on the side of its
nose.

In the time you took to reply you cold have looked at several sites
from the competition and gained some knowledge.
Actually, I DID check out the competition!
And my boss and I came up with this design.
Sorry but I don't have a real creative visual eye for graphic design.

Why are you continually putting yourself down? "I'm not good at
this..", "I don't have a real creative eye.." Listen, all I am doing
is giving you good advice. And all your doing is making excuses.
Feel free to do with it what ever you want.
And, frankly I kinda like some of the stuff we came up with.

If you like what you did, then by all means ignore everything I said
and continue on the track you are headed. If you want to get better,
then follow my advice. It is pretty.
The boss has been getting good response for 2 years from the site we
originally designed which, in our opinion, isn't as good as this one.
Suffice to say, you aren't a bride in need of a limo service for your
wedding so you don't know what they want.

Not a bride, but I was in the need for a limo today. It is my
daughter's 18 birthday and we are picking her and some of her friends
up in a limo and headed to Chateau Elan (http://
www.chateauelanatlanta.com/) for dinner.
And you must have been doing this long enough that you've lost sight
of how hard it really is.
I know html and css relatively well, and it's a BITCH trying to make
it work in a variety of browsers.

Someone here (I think Neredbojias) had a very simple flexible width
multi column template that would meet your every need for this site.
You had a header section, a couble of columns and a footer. You could
jump ahead a few steps in your quest if you got that (or google
"flexible width web templates free")

No you didn't. My website being "shit" is NOT a fact. It's your
opinion.
Again, you can't spin it any other way.

Nope, it looks like shit.
You provided a solution in your original post and good advice it was.
If you'd have offered that advice without the editorial comments we
wouldn't be having this conversation.

I got your attention didn't I? And now it is up to you to decide if
you are going fix your problem, or just complain about it for 3 or 4
more posts.... (I vote for fixing the problem)
A worthy challenge.
Without a doubt I'm smart enough to know that if I can please harsh,
in-the-know critics like you, my work will be far better.

I am not an in the know critic. Jukka, Adrienne, Dorayme, and a few
of the others here are the "people in the know" I am here for comic
relief, promoting Flash, and telling people the truth about their
sites. I don;'t have a clue how to fix the original problem you asked
about, but THAT is the least of your pages problems.
But I also
know that average people don't scrutinize these things as hard as you
do and will be happy with much less.

Why yes, that is always a good plan. Go with the average opinion...
Thanks for your advice, and, perhaps you should try to sugar-coat it
in the future so as not to offend sensitive folks like me.

But then I wouldn't get your attention.

Travis Newbury

(I wonder if Bergamot would regard this as florid writing or just
puke-inducing?)

Puke inducing...
And, of course, the cases are so similar.

The analogy was perfect. Something great in a shitty package will
still be passed up.

Travis Newbury

I wonder if anyone would notice if you did the reverse at like a wedding or
something? Of course, that'd be _most bovine_.

Actually the Food Network in the the colonies did that. They took
balut, (which smells nasty), let some people smell it an they all said
it was gross. Then they did the same thing but told the people it was
fine cheese (which also can smell nasty) and they all liked the
smell.

Not exactly the same but it does show that if you package something in
the right package (telling them it was fine cheese) You changed their
opinion.

Butch61

Why is the <div> absolutely positioned? I see no need for it. And the
layout suffers for it when the text size is increases by 150% so I can
read it.

The <div> is absolutely positioned because it has to sit on top of
the
background image which is a .png file.
Without the absolute positioning the <div> renders underneath
the .png.
Perhaps there is a better way to do this.
I don't know of it, yet.

Thanks again.

Andy Dingley

You did this for free right? I mean no one actually paid you for this
website did they? Sorry if that sounds blunt, but the page sucks.

Oh it's not _that_ bad! We get far worse round here.