P. Wilson's MasterPages

neverstill

So a new project has inspired me to look into page Templating once again.
My current approach of dynamically loading user controls
(http://www.ntsdirect.com) seems "hacky" for a larger scale site, maybe even
for that little site linked to above.

Either way, I would like to find out more about my options. I know that
Whidby has this great new MasterPage solution....but that doesn't help me
right now. What are most of you using? Are most people rolling their own
or is there a good open source base solution out there?

Has anyone used Paul Wilson's solution? if so, what do you think?

Thaks for any info!

-Steve

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The dynamic loading of user controls works, but it can be hacky, esp. if you
are not truly running a completely OO application. Master Pages work very
nicely, but you are right, they are not here yet. For getting a look out
quickly, you can save a aspx page with the look, but then it is only a
template at creation time. Any changes revert.

For HTML elements, I use Dreamweaver templates, but you have to be careful
when using ASP.NET elements, as you cannot delete anything or you get an
exception. It works relatively well for the more "chromed" sections of the
site.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

neverstill

Thanks Gregory,

I looked into Paul Wilson's MasterPages mod... it's pretty easy and fast to
implement. I've already got a framework chopped out and it took a couple
hours. Either way, thanks for your opinion though, cause I'm still trying
stuff out ;)