p4 hyperthreading & web gardening

Param - Home

Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
whether it is worth getting a dual cpu or just a single cpu like a p4 3ghz
with hyperthreading? How does asp.net web gardening work with hyperthreading
cpus?

TIA!

Lucas Tam

Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
whether it is worth getting a dual cpu

No one can really tell you unless we know what type of software you're
trying to run, how many hits, etc. There are many variables.

Mark Rae

Param - Home said:
Hi all, we are in the process of getting a new server and wanted to know
whether it is worth getting a dual cpu or just a single cpu like a p4 3ghz
with hyperthreading? How does asp.net web gardening work with hyperthreading
cpus?

Bit more info, please... :)

RP

Well let me try to put it this way. Our current server is a dual cpu p4
1ghz+ (web gardening turned on) which serves the load fine. We are trying to
upgrade in lieu of 2 boxes - single cpu p4 3.0ghz with HT. I guess what I am
trying to get at is does asp.net take full use of HT? If not I may as well
spend lesser money and get a plain old P4 without HT.

thanks!

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Read the white paper on hyper threading. it will guide you appropriately.
basically, hp offers significant performance improvements when the
application is written in such a way to take advantage of HP, otherwise it
doesn't. it's a bit more complicated than a yes/no issue really.

RP

Where can I find this white paper? I found one on Windows XP and HT but
nothing on asp.net & HT.

thanks!

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
RP said:
Well let me try to put it this way. Our current server is a dual cpu p4
1ghz+ (web gardening turned on) which serves the load fine. We are trying
upgrade in lieu of 2 boxes - single cpu p4 3.0ghz with HT. I guess what I
am
trying to get at is does asp.net take full use of HT? If not I may as well
spend lesser money and get a plain old P4 without HT.

thanks!

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

i am not aware that there is one. the information is applicable to asp.net
anyway.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney