PAC (presentation-abstraction-control) question

Discussion in 'C++' started by craig, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. craig

    craig Guest

    I'm trying to construct a PAC-agent architecture for an application
    that has an MDI GUI. I'm structuring the mainWindow as the
    presentation of the top-level agent. Sub-agents of the top-level are
    "document editors". The top-level mainWindow contains menus for top
    level functions, as well as menu items for the active sub-agent
    (document editor). When a new sub-agent is created/activated, it needs
    to replace/add menu items to the top-level mainWindow's menu ). When
    these menu items are pressed a message is communicated to the sub-agent
    (document editor) to perform a function. In other words, top-level has
    a presentation that contains menu items that fire off sub-agent
    functions.

    Does this make sense? Does it violate "agent" encapsulation or any
    other design principles?
    Thanks for any comments!

    -Craig

    craig, Mar 22, 2006

  2. craig

    Phlip Guest

    craig wrote:

    > I'm trying to construct a PAC-agent architecture for an application
    > that has an MDI GUI. I'm structuring the mainWindow as the
    > presentation of the top-level agent. Sub-agents of the top-level are
    > "document editors". The top-level mainWindow contains menus for top
    > level functions, as well as menu items for the active sub-agent
    > (document editor). When a new sub-agent is created/activated, it needs
    > to replace/add menu items to the top-level mainWindow's menu ). When
    > these menu items are pressed a message is communicated to the sub-agent
    > (document editor) to perform a function. In other words, top-level has
    > a presentation that contains menu items that fire off sub-agent
    > functions.
    >
    > Does this make sense? Does it violate "agent" encapsulation or any
    > other design principles?

    I X-posted to comp.object, and set follow-ups there, because this isn't a
    C++ question. (The answer is the same no matter what language you use.)

    The only rules for Model View Controller I know are:

    - use a triangle of observers

    - observe elements in a module, not the whole module

    - do what's simplest; sometimes you just call a function
    instead of post an observation event

    - pass all tests & refactor mercilessly

    You do _have_ test cases, don't you?

    --