Pack2000 magic

Roedy Green

I noted something that surprised me. Winzip reads Sun pack2000 jars. I
would have thought they would be incompatible. Are such jars done in
some way that makes them transparently compatible with old PKZip
formats, or did Winzip just get on the ball unusually quickly?

HalcyonWild

Roedy said:
I noted something that surprised me. Winzip reads Sun pack2000 jars. I
would have thought they would be incompatible. Are such jars done in
some way that makes them transparently compatible with old PKZip
formats, or did Winzip just get on the ball unusually quickly?

I have also noticed jar files opened by Winzip.
In fact, I have even zipped the class files with winzip, renamed the
..zip file as .jar and it works perfectly fine.

Roedy Green

I have also noticed jar files opened by Winzip.
In fact, I have even zipped the class files with winzip, renamed the
.zip file as .jar and it works perfectly fine.

I have been doing that since day 1. What surprised me is this new
supercompression pack2000 thing working. I could probably answer this
with some time spent with a hex editor and the specs to figure out
what pack2000 format really is.