package and deploy * VISUAL * c++ 6 app with MFC - I AM SO DESPERATE!!!

WL Gardner

First, my apologies for posting to c++ forum (there is no visual c++
group in google).

I am trying DESPERATELY to package and deploy a visual c++ 6
application which uses MFC. My application runs without problem on the
developer's (my) machine -windows xp. But I can't figure out how to
make the app run on other people's machines which are also running
XP!!!!

SHORT QUESTION:
How do I package a visual c++ 6 app? Do I need different versions for
different OS's?

EXPLANATION:
First I tried to copy my app's .exe file to the other computer, run
it, watched which DLL's it complained about, found them on the
developer machine, and copied them to the target machine. That lame
idea worked for awhile, and now my app just crashes.

So then I tried to do what I thought was the right way. I used
depends.exe and redistrib.txt (or something) to figure out which DLL's
I can (need?) to include (according to M$'s documentation). GULP! Does
this mean I have to look at every single DLL and check to see if it's
on the list!?!? There's over 50 DLL's for my SIMPLE project!! I used a
free packaging tool to do this and it didn't seem like it was going to
figure out which DLL's I need. There's gotta be a packager that
figures out what stuff you need and puts them in a single MSI or exe
file. If this exists, what is the cheapest one and what is it's name?

W.L. Gardner
WWWSoftware
Fargo, ND