Package for fast plotting of many data points in Python?

tt-industries

Hi,

I am programming a oscilloscope module in Python. For this reason, I
want to plot very many data points as fast as possible. This can be
more than 100 000 at once. So far I have been using the ploting module
of wxPython. However, it becomes unstable for more than 25000 points.
Can someone recommend me a faster plotting library? It would be really
cool if one could embed this in wxPython. If someone has an idea I
would be very glad about answer.

With kind regards,

Daniel

Stef Mientki

tt-industries said:
Hi,

I am programming a oscilloscope module in Python. For this reason, I
want to plot very many data points as fast as possible. This can be
more than 100 000 at once. At once is impossible ;-)
So far I have been using the ploting module
of wxPython. which plotting module ?
However, it becomes unstable for more than 25000 points.
again what do you mean: 25000 points per ?
25000 points on a 1600 pixel width screen ?

Please try to be somewhat more specific.
cheers,
Stef

Chris Rebert

Hi,

I am programming a oscilloscope module in Python. For this reason, I
want to plot very many data points as fast as possible. This can be
more than 100 000 at once. So far I have been using the ploting module
of wxPython. However, it becomes unstable for more than 25000 points.
Can someone recommend me a faster plotting library? It would be really
cool if one could embed this in wxPython. If someone has an idea I
would be very glad about answer.

Don't know how fast it is or how well it integrates, but matplotlib is
probably worth considering:
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
Chris

Roy Smith

tt-industries said:
I am programming a oscilloscope module in Python.

Sigh. I guess I'm showing my age, but I still can't get used to the idea
that the right tool to build an oscilloscope is no longer a soldering iron.

lazy1

Hello Daniel,
Can someone recommend me a faster plotting library?
I found out gnuplot to be blazing fast for many many points.
I usually just call it using subprocess but there are Python bindings
to it somewhere as well.

HTH,

Jeremy Sanders

tt-industries said:
Hi,

I am programming a oscilloscope module in Python. For this reason, I
want to plot very many data points as fast as possible. This can be
more than 100 000 at once. So far I have been using the ploting module
of wxPython. However, it becomes unstable for more than 25000 points.
Can someone recommend me a faster plotting library? It would be really
cool if one could embed this in wxPython. If someone has an idea I
would be very glad about answer.

Veusz can plot a line with that many points with that many points in a
couple of seconds on my system. It's a bit faster without antialiasing,
slower if you want to actually plot markers at each position.

Jeremy

Daniel Platz

Hi,

thanks for your repleys. I have tried matplotlib but it is extremely
slow. I think it is more optimized for good looking plots instead of
speed. I do not know the Python bindings of gnuplot and Veusz. To
clarify the issue again, by 25000 data points I mean 25000 pixels,
i.e. corresponding (x,y) pairs. Thus the mapping to one pixel on the
screen is not unique.

Now, that I have to implement this problem on my own I am very
impressed by the plotting capabilities of LabView which brings thounds
of data points on screen in an extremely short time.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Daniel

Guest

thanks for your repleys. I have tried matplotlib but it is extremely
slow. I think it is more optimized for good looking plots instead of
speed. I do not know the Python bindings of gnuplot and Veusz. To
clarify the issue again, by 25000 data points I mean 25000 pixels,
i.e. corresponding (x,y) pairs. Thus the mapping to one pixel on the
screen is not unique.

Have you already tried out rpy?

Martin