    I have already installed gcc.
    What is wrong ?
    Ngoc

    ngoc, Dec 12, 2003

  2. ngoc wrote:
    > Hi
    > I install Compress::Zlib in Solaris.
    >
    >> perl Makefile.PL
    >> make

    > error message: /usr/ucb/CC language optional software package not
    > installed.
    > I have already installed gcc.
    > What is wrong ?

    Sounds like /usr/bin/cc is being used instead of /usr/local/bin/gcc. You
    can verify this with "which cc".

    Try adjusting your PATH environment variable so that /usr/local/bin
    appears before /usr/bin, or set the CC environment variable to point to
    the compiler binary you want to use.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Dec 12, 2003

  3. ngoc

    Tony Curtis Guest

    >> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:40:19 +0100,
    >> ngoc <> said:

    > Hi I install Compress::Zlib in Solaris.
    >> perl Makefile.PL make

    > error message: /usr/ucb/CC language optional software
    > package not installed. I have already installed gcc. What
    > is wrong ?

    You mean "/usr/ucb/cc" don't you?

    What this means is (probably) that you're trying to add a
    module to the perl supplied with Solaris. This perl was built
    using Sun's Forte compilers (naturally) and is expecting to
    use the same compilers to add things to itself.

    The Solaris FAQ should address this:

    /usr/ucb/cc...

    http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q5.37

    perl...

    http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.75

    compilers...

    http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q6.1

    IIWY I'd build and install your own perl using gcc, and then
    add to that. The CPAN module makes this easier than doing it
    by hand.

    http://stein.cshl.org/genome_informatics/using_perl_modules/installing.html

    hth

    Tony Curtis, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Also sprach Tony Curtis:
    >>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:40:19 +0100,
    >>> ngoc <> said:

    >> Hi I install Compress::Zlib in Solaris.
    >>> perl Makefile.PL make

    >> error message: /usr/ucb/CC language optional software
    >> package not installed. I have already installed gcc. What
    >> is wrong ?

    > You mean "/usr/ucb/cc" don't you?
    >
    > What this means is (probably) that you're trying to add a
    > module to the perl supplied with Solaris. This perl was built
    > using Sun's Forte compilers (naturally) and is expecting to
    > use the same compilers to add things to itself.

    Not necessarily. As I recall, you can compile XS modules with gcc when
    the underlying perl was compiled with suncc (but might have also been
    the other way round, not sure).

    So it's mostly a matter of setting the CC environment variable so that
    it points to the gcc. It'll probably be necessary to weed out switches
    unrecognized by gcc from the Makefile as well. The rotten ones will show
    up on doing 'make'.

    Tassilo

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Dec 13, 2003