package install trouble

ngoc

Hi
I install Compress::Zlib in Solaris.
perl Makefile.PL
make
error message: /usr/ucb/CC language optional software package not
installed.
I have already installed gcc.
What is wrong ?
Ngoc

Sherm Pendley

ngoc said:
Hi
I install Compress::Zlib in Solaris.

error message: /usr/ucb/CC language optional software package not
installed.
I have already installed gcc.
What is wrong ?

Sounds like /usr/bin/cc is being used instead of /usr/local/bin/gcc. You
can verify this with "which cc".

Try adjusting your PATH environment variable so that /usr/local/bin
appears before /usr/bin, or set the CC environment variable to point to
the compiler binary you want to use.

sherm--

Tony Curtis

Hi I install Compress::Zlib in Solaris.
error message: /usr/ucb/CC language optional software
package not installed. I have already installed gcc. What
is wrong ?

You mean "/usr/ucb/cc" don't you?

What this means is (probably) that you're trying to add a
module to the perl supplied with Solaris. This perl was built
using Sun's Forte compilers (naturally) and is expecting to
use the same compilers to add things to itself.

The Solaris FAQ should address this:

/usr/ucb/cc...

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q5.37

perl...

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q3.75

compilers...

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q6.1

IIWY I'd build and install your own perl using gcc, and then
add to that. The CPAN module makes this easier than doing it
by hand.

http://stein.cshl.org/genome_informatics/using_perl_modules/installing.html

hth

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Tony Curtis:
You mean "/usr/ucb/cc" don't you?

What this means is (probably) that you're trying to add a
module to the perl supplied with Solaris. This perl was built
using Sun's Forte compilers (naturally) and is expecting to
use the same compilers to add things to itself.

Not necessarily. As I recall, you can compile XS modules with gcc when
the underlying perl was compiled with suncc (but might have also been
the other way round, not sure).

So it's mostly a matter of setting the CC environment variable so that
it points to the gcc. It'll probably be necessary to weed out switches
unrecognized by gcc from the Makefile as well. The rotten ones will show
up on doing 'make'.

Tassilo