"package own.examples": necessary with NetBeans?

Mirco Novena

Hello together

I am learning java and for my beginning, I just used a simple editor to
write the example codes. Now I wanna try NetBeans, but unfortunately all my
codes aren't working! I found out, that NetBeans need at the beginning of
the source file: "package own.examples" (i.e. where the source is stored).

Of course none of the sources I've written contains this add-on (because I
didn't need it). So they don't work with NetBeans. Why? If I am adding this
small "sentence" to the source code, I can compile it with NetBeans without
any problems, -> but not any longer with the command prompt (I am using
WinXP Pro at the moment).

What am I doing wrong? Is this sentence really necessary? I am asking,
'cause I want to implement a CMS (maybe JSF or Struts) and therefore I want
to know:
1) if it is better to use Eclipse or jEdit (do they need this extra
sentence, too?),
2) and if I am using an Application Server, it always needs "package
own.examples" or not? (so that maybe it is better not to use NetBeans 'cause
of this "lack")

thanks and cheers
mirco novena

Mirco Novena

Sorry, system clock went wrong (incorrect date) and so I posted this
question twice. Please have a look at the poste from the 27. September
14:55. I posted both between a few minutes!

thank you and again sorry!
mirco

bugbear

Mirco said:
Hello together

I am learning java and for my beginning, I just used a simple editor to
write the example codes. Now I wanna try NetBeans, but unfortunately all my
codes aren't working! I found out, that NetBeans need at the beginning of
the source file: "package own.examples" (i.e. where the source is stored).

It's not (just) "where the source is stored"

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/interpack/packages.html
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/packages.doc.html

BugBear