Package requests for the prelim. Ruby Production Archive

Mauricio Fernández

Ah. I thought the default paths, as presented by the installer, were
complete paths. So I kept entering complete paths. The prompts gave no
indication that my earlier paths would be reused to build the other paths.

I'll change the messages; if it's bitten you it could bite more people :)
Are you *sure*? I've had enough issues with
installing/uninstalling/reinstalling assorted versions of the 1-click
package. I don't want any overlap between this and my main ruby
installation.

I'm fairly sure, since:
(1) rpa-base will not overwrite the files it doesn't "own" (i.e. not
managed by it), unless you explicitly indicate that it's fine with
--force (when rpa-base "owns" a file, this means it will remove it on
uninstall *unless* it detects somebody else has modified it).
(2) (de)installs are atomic transactions: either the package is installed
cleanly (which implies passing its associated unit tests in many
cases) or the (partially) unpacked package is removed completely.

Of course, there could be bugs in (2), but I've tested it heavily (must
have run over 10**6 transactions by now :) and it is AFAIK pretty solid.
I have yet to verify if it's able to survive OS crashes (it is in
theory), but it's hard to do that sort of tests... I've already
verified it's able to survive Ruby crashes.

Take a look at
http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.cgi?Rpa_Base_In_Action/Robust_Transactions
for an interesting example.
I'll go see if I can get this to play well on my laptop.

Please tell me if you have any problem installing/using it, bug reports
are *very* welcome :)

The good thing about having rpa-base self-install is that if that works,
it's very likely that it will work for other packages too :)

Alexander Kellett

(Here I'm trying to install the packages into c:/ruby-rpa/ and related
subdirectories)

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:181:in `mkdir': Invalid argument -
c:/ruby-rpa/c: (Errno::EINVAL)

Has this been tested on Windows? Is it not meant for Windows users?

used it for a few months with no problems
whatsoever. why are you trying to use unix style
paths on windows? i'm a tad confused i must
admit...

anyways. why not just install in the
directory it suggests?

cheers,
Alex

p.s: i'm on linux again now so haven't
used a rpa-base on windows in the
last week or so

Alexander Kellett

wow, remind me to use an auto purge on my
mail directories this mail is agesssssssss old.

just ignore that last reply :p

Alex