packaging python code in archive file

mark jason

hi,
I have created a python app in eclipse pydev .The app is structured as
below..

mypackage
|______ __init__.py
|______ driver.py
|______ helper.py
|______ utils.py

The driver.py has the main program.I have added if
__name__=="__main__" block in the

driver.py and pydev's run configuration has the following values,
Project : myproject
Main Module :${workspace_loc:myproject/src/mypackage/driver.py}
So,the app runs in pydev without any problems.

Then I thought of providing the modules as a zip file.So I created a
zip file containing
mypackage directory.The user should be able to unzip the zip file and
run the application from command line .

What bothers me is that ,the user will have to cd to mypackage folder
and run python driver.py..
This doesn't look like the proper way..
I also thought of putting the driver,helper,utils modules in a folder
called mycode and zipping it without the __init__.py file .
I am not sure which is the correct way.
Can somebody advise me as to how I can package it better?

thanks,

mark

Alex Mentis

mark said:
[...]

Umm...write it in Java and package it in a .jar file? (In other words,
I think you posted to the wrong newsgroup... :) ).

Alex

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

For a Java relevant solution:
- compile with jythonc
- package in a jar file with Main-Class directive
and a Class-Path directive for Jython library

Otherwise just put a .bat/.sh file somewhere and
tell them to run that.

Arne