packaging question - documentation

Discussion in 'Python' started by schwehr@gmail.com, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I am rearranging the layout of one of my python projects so that it
    more closely conforms to how most python projects seem to work. I now
    have a structure like this:

    seismic-py
    - setup.py
    - seismic
    - bulk of the code
    - scripts
    - programs that go in bin

    I am using OptionParser, help2man, groff and man2html to provide man
    pages. Everything was sitting in the top level directory, so it was
    clear where to put these, but where do I put the foo.help2man files
    that contain extra text for the man pages? If I put it in scripts,
    that is pretty easy to cope with, but I was thinking about a docs
    directory, but then the build process might be more difficult. Or
    should I be putting in another string in each executable that contains
    this extra man page info? Then it would show up in epydoc as well.
    Maybe something like

    __help2man__ = '''
    [AUTHOR]
    Kurt Schwehr

    [SEE ALSO]
    segysql.py

    [DESCRIPTION]
    ..PP

    The --coord-unit option is designed to allow use of databases that
    exclude the CoordUnit field. This field is probably the same for all
    traces in the majority of SEGY data files, so most segy-py drivers
    will want to exclude coordunit from the short list (see segysql.py).
    The values are taken from page 14 of the SEG-Y Rev 1 specification

    -1 = Follow field 89-90 of the trace header
    1 = Length (meters or feet) [NOT supported]
    2 = Seconds of arc
    3 = Degrees, minutes, seconds (DMS) [NOT SUPPORTED]
    '''

    I am still in the middle of shuffling the tree about, but it is
    available here...

    https://cowfish.unh.edu/projects/seismic-py/

    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I am still trying to
    understand the best practices for python packaging.

    Thanks!
    -kurt

    , Mar 31, 2006

    Sorry about not being clear. I have been downloading quite a few
    packages for examples, but have not found a good example of man page
    building from optparse.

    seismic-py
    - setup.py
    - seismic
    - __init.py__
    - bulk of the code *.py
    - scripts
    - programs that go in bin/the users executable path (no .py
    extension)

    , Apr 1, 2006