    Regards
    Ranjeet
    , Jun 27, 2005

  2. On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:20:15 -0700, ranjeet.gupta wrote:

    > Dear All
    >
    > What is padding granularity ? Please give me the basic concept
    > of this.

    It isn't to my knowledge an established term in the context of the C
    language, so it might help if you give some context.

    "Padding" is space that the compiler can put between (strictly after)
    structure members. This is done to make sure that the following member is
    aligned appropriately. This is done for efficiency reasons, for example
    the architecture may not directly support unaligned access to certain data
    types (e.g. a "word" might have to be aligned on a "word" boundary).

    "Padding granularity" might relate to this concept of alignment. However a
    quick search on Google didn't come up with anything specifically related
    to this or C in general.

    Lawrence
    Lawrence Kirby, Jun 27, 2005